Carers allowance-Entitled?

eveanne

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. My BF's parents (Mother 70-Father 65) are caring for his mother (who is 94) on a full time basis & have been for the last 5 years. Father is a semi retired farmer who draws a pension. The mother never worked outside of the home, and she has just recently started drawing her pension. The granny also gets a pension. So the main incomes into the house are 3 pensions (And whatever he gets from the farm-TBH I don't know the figures but I don't think its huge)
Is the mother (who is the primary carer) entitled to carers allowance? and if so can she get it backdated?
Many thanks
Eveanne

It sounds like she would be better off on Carer's Allowance. In general, Carer's is more forgiving than other means-tested payments or pensions. She cannot get both pension and Carer's but can opt for whichever is more beneficial to her. Also, there is a Respite grant payable to Carers of €1200 per year. This can be applied for whether one is getting CA or not, as long as they are giving full-time care to the person involved (which she is). The best thing to do is contact the local SW office and ask for the Information Officer. They will bring you (or BF) through the various options, etc.. It is only by applying and getting means-tested for Carer's that they will know exact benefits but the worst will be that she will remain on curent payment but get Respite Grant as well! See www.welfare.ie/publications/sw41

This is a from a press release today: seems rules will be changing for the better....

"Minister Brennan said that also later this year, in one of the most fundamental reforms ever undertaken of the welfare system, the long standing rule that forbids a person receiving two welfare payments will be abolished in the case of Carers.

The result will be the introduction for the first time in the history of the State of an entitlement allowing Carers to retain a full social welfare payment and to receive, in addition, up to half rate Carers Allowance, which will boost the income of an estimated 18,000 Carers by up to EUR109 per week."

As an additional FYI, the Respite Care Grant will increase to €1,500 per person being cared for, from June 2007. (It was €1,200 up to now).

The measures outlined in the press release above regarding the new means-tested payment (same as up to half the Carer's Allowance) were actually announced as part of Budget 2007. This new means-tested payment will come into effect in September 2007.

What type of pensions are the mother and father on.If the father is receiving a smaller pension,it might be better if he applied for the c.a.
The farm income is o.k. up to 320 a week.
Don`t think it`s possible to backdate in your case.

Back