Carers Allowance: Applied March 2012, still not processed March 2013. Is this normal?

word of warning on this - i did caring for BOTH my parents. My dad is infirm, has an extremely weak heart, diabetes, is on 27 tablets a day and has no power in his shoulders and a raft of other physical issues. My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I applied to be carer for both and has all the medical records and doctor's forms stating that they both needed help.

I only got passed for my mother, they didn't agree my father needed help even though the doctor did. The impression I got was they were cutting down on the amount of people they accepted. I still do caring for my father but unpaid. So make sure you factor in whether you will be approved or not before you make any decisions
thanks for the info. the problem is, i have to decide within the next 2 weeks in my job,if i want to take the redundancy or not.once i sign up i cant change my mind. hence the problem, i have no way of knowing within the next 2 weeks if i will be accepted for carers allowance or not.

bavaria333 thank you for your reply .My local TD has done his best still no change in my situation .applied for carers allowance for my 4 and half years old daughter who is in receipt of Domiciliary care allowance since apr2012.

if i was getting carers benefit,do i get the dole as well, or is it one or the other?

Carer's Benefit is a payment made to insured people who leave the workforce to care for a person(s) in need of full-time care and attention.

But if i leave the workplace ( not temporarily but took redundancy) could i still apply for carers benefit?

Here is the full requirements in order to get CB.

You may be eligible for Carer's Benefit if:

• You are aged 16 or over and under 66.
  • You have been in employment for at least 8 weeks in the previous 26 weeks before becoming a carer. You must have worked for a minimum of 16 hours per week or 32 hours per fortnight.
  • You are resident in the State.
  • You give up work in order to be a full-time carer. Being a full-time carer means you must be living with or in a position to provide full-time care and attention to a person in need of care who is not living in an institution.
  • You are not living in a hospital, convalescent home or other similar institution. However, you may continue to be regarded as providing full-time care and attention, if you or the person being cared for is having medical or other treatment in a hospital or other institution for a period not longer than 13 weeks.
  • You meet the PRSI contribution conditions.
  • The person being cared for is so incapacitated as to require full-time care and attention and is not normally living in an institution. Medical certification is required unless, the person being cared for is a child who is getting Domiciliary Care Allowance. The carer of a child on a Domiciliary Care Allowance does not need to be the person who receives that allowance on the child's behalf.
  • You must not be engaged in employment, self-employment, training or education courses outside the home for more than 15 hours a week. The maximum amount you can earn is €332.50 per week. (€332.50 is your net income after you have deducted income tax and Universal Social Charge, PRSI, superannuation (pension payments), pension levy, union dues and subscriptions to Friendly Societies from your total wage.)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...l_welfare_payments/carers/carers_benefit.html

Hi, I am wondering if there is anyone out there who could help or advise me.
I applyed for carers allowance back in March 2012 and still I havent heard anything from them as yet, is that normal?.
So I am now currently on week 48 since I applyed, is there anyone out there who experiencing the same waiting time? or has anyone recently received and answer from them recently.

Whenever I call them they say it will be a few more weeks and that will take me into March 2013 which will be 12 months since I submitted the application which I think is a very long time too wait for any application.

Any advice will be gratfully appreciated.

Thanks Waiting M.

hello Waitingm , just wondering have you heard anything from CA Yet? just wondering because I am in same position applied in May2012 and few people applied after me were approved I am still waiting .hope all goes well for you .

After a very long and stressful time we have finally been approved received pass and letter this morning will be backdated from May2012,thanks to everyone who posted in this forum .It's hard to be a carer and we do not need extra stress.

Hi Sugarbowl, we received a letter 2 and half weeks ago to say our appeal was approved, did you have to wait long from time you were approved until your arrears payment was sorted out? and you were backdated to May 2012, was this the date of your original application? Thanks in advance:)

Hi Sugarbowl, we received a letter 2 and half weeks ago to say our appeal was approved, did you have to wait long from time you were approved until your arrears payment was sorted out? and you were backdated to May 2012, was this the date of your original application? Thanks in advance:)

Hi I saw you on boards and wondered how your claim went. Delighted you got your appeal. I was turned down on medical grounds even though I was on carers benefit for 2 years and am having the decision reviewed. Can I ask did you get yours reviewed?

Hi I applied for the carers allowance and was refused. I have appealed the decision and i received a letter from dolier st saying that they have received the appeal the was on the 14th of May. I phoned dolier st last wk and was told that my file was in longford and they had no further information. I then contacted Longford and they have my file which they say will be sent back to Dublin. Does anybody know what the procedure is for appeal thank you

Once Longford send it back to Dublin an oral hearing should be scheduled in a location local to you. You should have a final answer within a month of having the oral hearing.

thanks for the reply can I ask is that the usual procedure with every appeal an oral hearing?

Not every appeal goes to an oral hearing. It depends on the appeals officer or if you have requested one. Oral hearings are an advantage as you get to put your case in person to the appeals officer.

Thats true thanks for the reply much appreciated Time

If anyone has attended an oral hearing could you tell me is it anything to be nervous about?

My cousin has applied for the carers also and she has been refused 3 times. She had an inspector visit but hasnt had an oral hearing. Im not sure if it makes much difference

Back