Carers Allowance: Applied March 2012, still not processed March 2013. Is this normal?

waitingm

Hi, I am wondering if there is anyone out there who could help or advise me.

I applied for carers allowance back in March 2012 and still I havent heard anything from them as yet, is that normal?

So I am now currently on week 48 since I applied, is there anyone out there who experiencing the same waiting time? or has anyone recently received and answer from them recently?

Whenever I call them they say it will be a few more weeks and that will take me into March 2013 which will be 12 months since I submitted the application which I think is a very long time too wait for any application.

Any advice will be gratfully appreciated.

Thanks Waiting M.

Waitingm, in your own best interest email the social protection ministers office, include your date of application ppn no etc. enquire why after 48 weeks you have received no acknowledgement of your application ?. guaranteed you will receive a response within 4/5 days. and it will be investigated and dealt with. you could also contact your local TD ask him / her to enquire as a parlimentary question on your behalf ...supply all details ppn etc. to your TD this really does have the desired effect within 3 week period. good luck

I waited over a year for mine to arrive. It was extremely stressful as we were living over credit cards and using up our savings. I spent many, many hours on the phone to various departments trying to see what stage it was at in processing. It is crazy how the system takes so long. I know they are overwhelmed with applications, but it is unfair to punish people who are often in extremely,extremely stressful situations and are very dependent on that money to survive. A terrible system.

My sil is a carer and had to wait a year but got the money backdated, well deserved IMO as she is terrific and has gone way beyond the call of duty, and if she wasn't around my mil and fil would have had numerous long term stays in hospital. Good luck.

A big THANK YOU! to everyone who took the time to reply. I called carers this week and they said I will hear something in the next two weeks, this has been the longest application process ever, fingers crossed for an positive answer, in GOD I trust.
my advice to anyone who wants to apply for carers allowance is keep following them up, cause I am sure they are starting to hate the sound of my voice, am sure some of the call centre staff even know my PPSN by heart by now, LOL..... but you just have too keep calling and chase them up as its so easy to just forget about your application in hope that they are working on it.

GOOD LUCK! AND THANKS AGAIN

I applied for CA for the carer of my elderly relative in February 2012. Last week I got a letter asking for hospital discharge dates in 2012. Unfortunately she passed away last week and we are grieving. We are very disappointed that the Carer's section of DSP was unable to approve CA during her illness. A year of waiting is unacceptable for this scheme for any age group, let alone someone over 90 needing care. I will write to the Minister to complain to try to improve the lot of CA applicants.

still waiting

Hi all just wanted too give you guys an update, well im still waiting for my decision.
I called them this morning and still they havent made any decision the 15th of march will be 12 months exactly.

I am getting so disheartend and fustrated.

waiting M

hi, i am in the process of deciding to take a redundancy offer in my job, i am thinking of becoming a carer for my elderly parents. my question is, will my redundancy lump sum be taken into consideration when they are means testing me or deciding if i qualify for carers allowance, and could,because of my redundancy lump sum, mean i actually get nothing from them? i am completely out of my depth in this field and any help would be greatly appreciated.

what is the difference between carers "benefit" and carers allowance? thank you for your reply by the way.

what is the difference between carers "benefit" and carers allowance? thank you for your reply by the way.

Like all 'Benefit' payments, Carers Benefit is not means tested but you must have enough prsi contributions to qualify. It only last for 2yrs though.

then you could apply for Carers Allowance which is means tested.

Could i apply for carers benefit even if i decided to take the redundancy offer from my job? I appreciate the replies.

Hi I am in the same boat still waiting sent bank statements 3 weeks ago and nothing nothing has happened.applied since May2012 still waiting the stress and frustration.

did you try your local t.d. ? he/she might have some influence in getting them to hurry it on a bit.

Hi I am in the same boat still waiting sent bank statements 3 weeks ago and nothing nothing has happened.applied since May2012 still waiting the stress and frustration.

can i ask you,did you apply for carers benefit or carers allowance? and whatever one,why choose one over the other?

hi, i am in the process of deciding to take a redundancy offer in my job, i am thinking of becoming a carer for my elderly parents. my question is, will my redundancy lump sum be taken into consideration when they are means testing me or deciding if i qualify for carers allowance, and could,because of my redundancy lump sum, mean i actually get nothing from them? i am completely out of my depth in this field and any help would be greatly appreciated.

word of warning on this - i did caring for BOTH my parents. My dad is infirm, has an extremely weak heart, diabetes, is on 27 tablets a day and has no power in his shoulders and a raft of other physical issues. My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I applied to be carer for both and has all the medical records and doctor's forms stating that they both needed help.

I only got passed for my mother, they didn't agree my father needed help even though the doctor did. The impression I got was they were cutting down on the amount of people they accepted. I still do caring for my father but unpaid. So make sure you factor in whether you will be approved or not before you make any decisions

@paddi22 I hope you appealed it as they tend to turn down first application and even first appeal.

Back