Career Change

whiplash

Hi all, I'm thinking of a total career change this year. I've a good job at the moment but can't see myself doing it all my life. I'm thinking about studying Physical Therapy at the end of the year. I play a lot of sport and I've been on the treatment table more then once myself so I know what the work is like and really think I would enjoy this type of work.

Am I mad? Has anybody else made such a move?

Any help or encouragement is welcome :)

Physio or Physical Therapy?
Physical Therapy is not a prof. qualification and there's no real recognition for it, is there? I'm just asking... I know 1 or 2 physio's and it's getting very tough now for them to source jobs - well not them in particular but new graduates. I'd imagine it's the same with physical therapists...

Its Physical Therapy, I've done a lot of reading about it and it seems like its on the way up but again I need to check it out more. I dont know what the market is like for jobs in Physio or Physical Therapy at the moment. Does anybody know??

Yes, tough.
There's been articles about it in the mainstream press, I'm sure you can find if you search about.
As I said I know of people who are working now in hospitals who got in before there was an increase in applicants - they say how difficult it is for new people to get in, as unless they're are cream of the crop, they are competing with 100's for 1 or 2 places.

I also know someone training now, and he says the same, although as he's a male he has a greater chance due to the huge lack of men training at the minute.

Best bet is to ring irish society for chartered physios and as someone there...

Ive worked in IT for years but would now like to persue a career in Physiotherapy

Just thought I'd ask the question. Are you doing the job you always dreamt of? I've worked/working in IT/Telecoms for years now and only recently decided to go back and study to do something I always wanted to do which is Physio Therapy.

Has anybody else taking these steps and glad they did although it might of been hard work at the time?

You already had a thread open on the same substantive issue. Don't open another one. Threads merged.

Back