Career Break: Tax Implications?

suzie

Hi there,

We are a married couple, but this year my partner has taken a career break and I'm unsure of what implications this would have on our tax.

After getting married, we notified revenue that we were to be tax separately and I nominated myself as the "primary"? individual. This year looking at my tax free allowance certificate, all our married/combined credits were on my certificate, though it did imply that €28K+ was allocated to others (I assume my partner).

Should I notify the revenue of our change in circumstances so to make sure that we are paying the correct amount of taxes? Or leave it to the end of the year and provide a tax return so that revenue can provide a balancing statement? Note that my partner is a civil servant if that has any implications.

Thanks for any help

S.

suzie said:
After getting married, we notified revenue that we were to be tax separately and I nominated myself as the "primary"? individual.

What do you mean by separately? There are three options for [broken link removed] and joint/aggregated taxation (rather than the other two options of separate assessment or individual treatment) is normally the one that is most beneficial for most couples. Did you not choose this and, if not, why not?

If in doubt write to Revenue including as much details about your circumstances as possible and including copies of both your P60s for recent years and they should sort it out. This works in general with tax matters and not just in this situation.

Back