Car warranty question

Fedupwtbs

Recently ran into some problems with my car (Seat Ibiza). It is a 2 year old car and we had a 2 year warranty. The warranty expired 11 days ago and now we have the car in the main dealers who are looking at the issue. Just wondered if it is possible that the manufacturer or dealership will fix this at no cost or bill me as warranty just expired. The issues could have started during the warranty but only now become visible.

google if the problem is a common problem with your car and you may have some leverage. I would say it depends on your relationship with your garage if they offer goodwill or not.

Id work on that, push them if they refused to sort it for you (Eddie Hobbs might run a story on it, if you remember the consumer prog) .

However Id be very nice and wait for their stance on the situation first. They may wish to just fix it quickly and quietly as a new bought two yr old car with a common fault would be bad press.

A new car, with only 2 years warranty? I would have thought any new car would have a min 3 years.

Car is a Seat Ibiza. So after taking back to the dealers where we bought the car in 2012 and they informed us they are no longer a Seat dealers and we should take it to another Seat dealers. So we did this morning take the car to another seat dealers. However they are saying that because the dealers where we bought the car is no longer a seat dealers then that's effects the 2 years where we serviced the car. For seat Ireland to give us goodwill then we needed to get the car serviced by a seat dealers (we thought we had done so) in fact the dealers actually used seat parts when servicing the car it still does not count. So we are now left with a 1600 euro repair bill on a 2 year old car. Is there anything we can do. The warranty is already up since 2 weeks ago. The problem is common with that model and I believe this fault must have being brewing whilst still under warranty. I have being in contact with Seat Ireland so will let you know how I go. Hopefully they will give goodwill.

I have heard this happen before and the car company will usually tell the dealer to fix the problem on goodwill and pick up the cost. Stick to your guns.

fedup.

Since warrenty is out in 2 weeks, ensure you now write registered letter to Seat ,outlining issue. If you do not, you may find they will write back in future and say tough!

fedup.

Since warrenty is out in 2 weeks, ensure you now write registered letter to Seat ,outlining issue. If you do not, you may find they will write back in future and say tough!

Gerry, thanks for advice. Unfortunately warranty expired on Feb 17th 2014 (2 week ago)

Stick to your guns.

+1, keep going, they'll fob you off, hoping you'll disappear

have had an issue before with a car, KIA RIO,

I once bought a car and left the dealership with only one fob as he couldnt locate the second...few weeks later...second key arrived and it was a manual...eventually discovered the car not have central locking (unbelievable) anyway car was sent to a company who retro fitted the central locking

Id email the head company and push to get the cost paid...this is what i had to do in above story as salesman washed his hand of the situation (he wanted to give my money back and my own car)....

If the car was serviced with seat parts then it doesn't matter who did the servicing. The warranty still stands even if slightly late. push for good will.

Don't let them fob you off.

If the car was serviced with seat parts then it doesn't matter who did the servicing. The warranty still stands even if slightly late. push for good will.

Don't let them fob you off.

Thanks Frank..will post an update later today as I am expecting a call from Seat Ireland with a decision. They have receieved the application from the Seat dealers who now have the car and have also receieved the technical report.

Seat are willing to pay 50% of parts costs and nothing towards labor/diagnostics meaning a bill of 750 for me.

After speaking with Seat Ireland they have gone from 50% up to 70%. So I went back to the dealers who have the car and advised what Seat Ireland told me (they would increase the 50 to 70%) However the dealers are now saying it was originally 70% on the parts and this not change the fact (even though whenb the dealers called me this morning they said the cost would be 50% as the goodwill is 50%) The goal posts have moved. So now we are still looking at paying 50% of the cost. Unbelievable. Seems like the dealers are charging me through the roof for labour. The dealers are messing us around now I feel. Thought I had made some progress after the call with Seat Ireland. Seems not.

First up @Fedupwtbs, sorry to hear you are having major problems with a relatively new car.

Could I point out that your contract is with the original dealer, the one that sold you the car. If Seat Ireland is willing to pick up part of the expense of the repair, then that is to their credit, but your issue is with the original dealership - they got your money.

Any warranty given with a car is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer in Irish / EU law and cannot replace or diminish them.

Under the [broken link removed], the car you were sold must meet three criteria. It must be:

• of merchantable quality
  • fit for purpose
  • as described.
If it fails any of these criteria then you may have legal recourse against the seller.

A reasonable person would expect a car, purchased new from a main dealer, properly serviced over two years with correct parts, etc to continue to work as a car without developing major repair problems. If the make / model of car has a demonstrable history of developing faults then that strengthens your case if that information was not supplied to you at the time of purchase.

Was that Seat the subject of a recall for warranty work in other EU states for faults like your car has? Is the repair a serious safety issue (brakes not working, engine cutting out, etc) that could endanger the driver or occupants? Any of these issues will also add weight to a case for free repair / compensation

I believe you need to consult [broken link removed] as a first step and see if my opinion is valid and take the steps suggested if you believe it is.

Thank you Pat. That is some great feedback.

The original dealers are not taking any responsibility. They are advising me to push Seat Ireland and the Seat dealership who currently have the car.

As far as I know there was no recall and Seat Ireland have said that this is not a wide spread issue. The original dealers have said they have seen alot of these issues however with the model I have.

From a saftey point it was the power steering which failed. But again this occured just slighlty outside of the warranty (about 2 weeks to be exact)

I am awating further information from Seat Ireland and the dealers who are looking at the car (bear in mind i did not buy from this dealers) The original dealers where I bought the car are no longer part of Seat.

I would push Seat Ireland. They have shown some goodwill in offering half the money, hoping you will just accept that.

A legal recourse will be more hassle. I had said this to my own dealer with my complaint above and he really only laughed....I kept at it till eventually they agreed to pay all costs for my troubles.

... The original dealers are not taking any responsibility. They are advising me to push Seat Ireland and the Seat dealership who currently have the car...
Of course they are; it moves the problem away and stops you hassling them about their legal obligations to you as a customer / consumer.
... As far as I know there was no recall and Seat Ireland have said that this is not a wide spread issue. The original dealers have said they have seen alot of these issues however with the model I have.

From a saftey point it was the power steering which failed. But again this occured just slighlty outside of the warranty (about 2 weeks to be exact) ....
If the issue is a failure of the electric power steering pump then the VW AUDI Group is plagued with them - Skoda Fabias, Audi A2, A4 & A5, VW Polo (Fox in North America), VW Golf, SEATS, etc. Type "VAG electric power steering pump failure" into your favourite search engine for a selection of reports and opinions.

IMHO it is a safety issue as described in some internet forums
... The original dealers where I bought the car are no longer part of Seat.
This is a red herring. You paid them. They own resolving the problem.

Back