Car warranty- money back?

bobaloulou

Hi

I am about to purchase a 01 Focus. The dealer has told me he will give me 6 months warranty
I am not in the position of getting a mechanic to look at it before i buy it unfortunetly
I am buying it on the basis that i am getting a mechanic to check it out as soon as i buy it, and if there is any issues i want to give it back. Am i entitled to a full refund on the car if there is a problem with it, or is the dealer just obliged to repair any fault with it???

I doubt the dealer would give you a refund unless he says so specifically, in writing. Also, he's only obliged to repair faults covered in the warranty, again get it in writing.

The AA or RAC will check any car for you before buying. The dealer should be happy to bring it to your friendly mechanic within a reasonable distance, if he's not willing then walk away, theres lost of used cars out there.

I would also suggest that you read the warranty carefully and you fully understand it. Warranties can cover the engine, gearbox, parts and labour costs. The warrany that you get may only cover one of these so it is important that each is included.

PS this is not an exhaustive list, somebody else who is more "mechanically minded" may be in a position to elaborate.

Don't buy it until it's checked out. You'll never ever get your money back after you hand it over - and you shouldn't expect to either. What ever your mechanic says afterwards will be deemed to be only his or her opinion.

Warranty only covers whats detailed under the dealers T's & C's and just because its covered, don't expect the dealer to fix it properly. Once he makes any sort of attempt that probably covers his side of things.
Follow the advice from the previous post.

Thanks for the replies
I got the car checked out yesterday by a mechanic, he pointed out 2 things for the dealer to get sorted, a noise coming from the gear box, and a potential water leak in the boot. Otherwise car driving well, adn he didnt see any other problems
Dealer said he would get these sorted for me
Im unsure whether to walk away or go ahead if he sorts these 2 things?!

Back