Car Tyres - Remoulds

mickdoyle said:
Where can I get remoulded car tyres in Dublin or Meath ? Thanks for any replies.

you'd have thought they'd be available pretty much everywhere there, esp. since Irelands only tyre re-manufacture factory is in Louth

might be best to stick this on the car section as well

I've been told by friends working in the industry (albeit those with a slightly vested interest in selling new tyres so possibly not best objective view) that as the price of new tyres has come down so much most places won't bother selling remoulds anymore. I'd say this is probably true for most of the bigger chains anyway so to get remoulds you'd probably need to go to a smaller independent mechanic.

There is a place on the road that links the N1 with the Malahide Road (Clougran/Kinsealy), around 5 minutes from The Coachman.

I think I remember reading on this site about safety concerns with remoulds?

CCOVICH said:
I think I remember reading on this site about safety concerns with remoulds?

I'm not an expert but AFAIK they wear around the edges faster so would not be as safe as proper tyres. They would also be false economy, wearing down much faster than new tyres.

Personally I would only use them as a spare or for a car trailer or if I was close to selling a car or scraping it and wanted the cheapest to carry me for a few thousand miles.

Betsy Og said:
you'd have thought they'd be available pretty much everywhere there, esp. since Irelands only tyre re-manufacture factory is in Louth

might be best to stick this on the car section as well

This is not a tyre re-manufacture factory. Instead it processes old tyres and produces rubber chips or crumbs for use in children's playgrounds.

As it happens this place suffered a huge fire recently - I think a couple of guys were either killed or badly burnt - so is out of action

I am in the market for 4 new tyres. I live on Dublin's southside. Anyone any recommendations?

I think tyres are a big safety feature. If you have spent a lot of money on a car (or even if you haven't) its worth puting money into a good set of tyres. You can have all the abs and ebd stuff but you still need good tyres. Depending on the size of car and width desired you should be able to get 165 R13's for about €60 - €65 or 195 R13 for about €80 - €85 with 175's and 185's somewhere in between

Back