Car Tax Amount???

DJ-B

Hi

Iv recently bought in a car from the uk and I registered and paid the VRT last week.

The car is a Golf GTTDI so its a Diesel which has a Carbon emission of 140g and has an engine size of 1896cc

When I went to pay my road tax I was charged €582 and not €156

Can anybody tell me if i was correctly charged the higher ammount and why i did not qualify for the lower ammount of 156 for a years road tax?

Re: Car Tax Ammount???

Year is 2002 and it was first registered in the uk in march of that year

It was registered here in Jan 2009

Tax is then based on engine size, so you were charge the correct amount

See here

Vehicles registered before 1 January 2008, including imports first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008, will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size

The car has to be first registered after 1st Jan 2008 in its country of origin (in this case UK) to qualify for the lower motor tax. VRT is charged on the C02 emissions of the car regardless of age but motor tax is charged on the old CC system on cars registered before 1st Jan 2008.
Vehicles first registered between 1st Jan 2008 and 30th June 2008 will be charged on either of the two systems, which ever is the cheapest.
In your case your VRT is charged on the C02 and the motor tax is charged on the CC (1896cc).
Hope this answers your query!

Ok thanks for that. Was just curious with the new Tax system last year.

Thanks for your help.

That sucks, You should be able to choose the cheaper car tax.

The new CO2 based system does not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

(sorry - I had this post open in my browser for an hour before replying - I now see you had the answer ages ago!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back