Car tax a year overdue

torres9

I moved from Belfast to Dublin last July.

My car tax had been out of date in the North since dec 06.

I want to register the car here now, it's been out of tax for over a year!

Will i be able to hold my hands up and pay whatever is owed or will in be in hot water?!

I am sorry, dont shout at me! :eek:

I suspect that the tax status of a Northern reg-ed car is irrelevant in the South. I don't see that you 'owe' anything. Just re-register the car and tax it for the year ahead. I stand to be corrected on this.

are you sure the OP has been here a week already? I got the impression they hadn't even moved here yet..!!!!!!!

sorry my bad - i should have commented that it is laudable of the OP to be making all these enquiries in such good time before his arrival ;)

They won't know you have been driving it around down here - you just need to import it now pay your VRT and tax it into the future.

Will he/she have to pay VRT seeing that he/she owns the car in Belfast since 2006.

I moved from Belfast to Dublin last July.

My car tax had been out of date in the North since dec 06.

I want to register the car here now, it's been out of tax for over a year!

Will i be able to hold my hands up and pay whatever is owed or will in be in hot water?!

I am sorry, dont shout at me! :eek:

As I see it from about post the OP only moved here in July 2007and if he/she owned the car in December 2006 and still owns it that means he/she owned it for at least 6 months in Northern Ireland. So I don't think there will be any VRT to be paid on it.

Not being a moralistic maggie here but when OP produces her insurance might tax office not potentially query why her car was insured here for months even though she only brought it into country yesterday.

To be honest I would pay the tax not because I am purer than the driven snow but I would be afraid of getting caught. Not paying the car tax until now is one thing but lying on an official document( an offence) is a whole other kettle of fish.

Not being a moralistic maggie here but when OP produces her insurance might tax office not potentially query why her car was insured here for months even though she only brought it into country yesterday.

To be honest I would pay the tax not because I am purer than the driven snow but I would be afraid of getting caught. Not paying the car tax until now is one thing but lying on an official document( an offence) is a whole other kettle of fish.

There is the possibility that they had also continued to keep it insured in the north?

Colleague of mine in work bought a car last year - hadn't really been driving much before that. Her tax ran out in September or October and she didn't bother taxing it again as she wasn't driving it (much :eek:) Anyway, she sent off the form and I thought she would have had a much harder time sorting out the fact it hadn't been taxed in so long, but she just sent off the payment for a year and they taxed it for her no problem. They just think the car has been off the road as far as I can see....

M

Back