Car Swap

TwoWheels

I have a Peugeot 406 Coupe,
2L
Exhaust needs replacing
Shocks need replacing
Handbrake is broken
Needs 2 tyres

A friend of mine who is quite handy with cars has offered me a straight swap for;
Rover 600
1.8L
New tyres & shocks
Good condition
And a year's gaurintee that he will do any work needed.

Should I take it?
I just cannot trust the 406 any more, it is giving electrical problems (Windows Heater etc)
Also herself drives a lot so I want something realiable.

Both cars have NCT until the middle of 2010.
Any views?

Sounds like a good way to ruin your friendship. It may be awkward to call in the guarantee from your friend, which seems pretty likely on a 10-year-old Rover, a brand that has a poor reliability record anyway. He'll have lots of headaches with your car also, so it's probably best to avoid a swap.

Sounds like a good way to ruin your friendship. It may be awkward to call in the guarantee from your friend, which seems pretty likely on a 10-year-old Rover, a brand that has a poor reliability record anyway. He'll have lots of headaches with your car also, so it's probably best to avoid a swap.

+1

One of you will end up nothing talking to the other.

i am not getting into the merits of either car (neither of them are my type to be honest) but just a point:
you mention all the things that are wrong with your car and all the good things about the other car. maybe look a little deeper and list pros AND cons of both.

the guarantee thing just will not work.

I have a Peugeot 406 Coupe,
2L
Exhaust needs replacing
Shocks need replacing
Handbrake is broken
Needs 2 tyres

A friend of mine who is quite handy with cars has offered me a straight swap for;
Rover 600
1.8L
New tyres & shocks
Good condition
And a year's gaurintee that he will do any work needed.

Should I take it?
I just cannot trust the 406 any more, it is giving electrical problems (Windows Heater etc)
Also herself drives a lot so I want something realiable.

Both cars have NCT until the middle of 2010.
Any views?

Rovers are notorious for bad engines. Chances are this one has been rebuilt or had gasket issues..

Beware... big time

Rovers are notorious for bad engines. Chances are this one has been rebuilt or had gasket issues...
For friendship's sake steer clear of any car fitted with that 1.8 K series Rover engine.

Now if its a Honda-engined Rover, Sin Scéal Eile...

concur with all the above.........rover engines and head gasket replacements are a major issue..........

It has the Honda engine..

As mathepac says, that changes everything. The only type of Rover worth buying.

If it were a stranger, I'd do the swap in a second. If your friend is mechanically minded (sounds like he might be) and is fully aware of the 406 problems, go for it - no question, you are getting a mechanically superior car.

Thanks guy's.
I think I will go for it,
He is very mechanically minded and fully aware of the 406 problems, he will buy the parts needed & fit them himself.
The Rover is fully serviced & reliable, so for me, I think it is the better option.

Back