Car rental - Canada to US

Shorty69664

Has anybody ever rented a car in Canada and returned it to the US.

I'm trying to organise a rental car from Montreal to Washington DC but nobody seems to let you return the car to a city in the US.

I was even trying to book from Montreal to the canadian side of Niagara Falls (then pick up another from US side of Niagara to Washington DC) but not having much luck either.

Any advice welcome.....

Not exactly what you're asking but we rented in Calgary and returned in Vancouver - absolutly nailed for dropping off in a different state - lord knows about a different country.

I did a bit of browsing, and found this on the www.alamo.com website:

One way rentals between the U.S. and Canada are available at participating locations.

Exceptions

[broken link removed] Canada
The Canadian Import Law prohibits Canadian Citizens from taking a U.S. owned rental vehicle from the U.S. into Canada. The rental vehicle will be seized by Canadian Customs at the border, whether the Canadian renter plans to return the vehicle to a U.S. or Canadian location. The U.S. owned rental vehicle cannot be imported into Canada, even to temporarily cross the border. However, a Canadian may rent a Canadian owned vehicle in the U.S. and return it to Canada or cross the border without the vehicle being seized. Any U.S. Citizen renting a vehicle in the U.S. may drive across the U.S./Canadian border with no restrictions. The driver may be asked by Customs to show a rental agreement and a form of identification, such as a driver's license.

So it would appear that renting a car in Canada and returning it to the US is okay. I would recommend contacting a few rental companies that have branches in both countries to see what they say.

you will be fleeced to bring it to another country. hire one and drop it back at the border. cross the border and hire another one in U.S and drop it back in washington...

Thanks for all the replys folks.

Eventually found that Avis will let me hire a car from Montreal to Niagara Falls. I have to rent from the airport though as none of the local Montreal Avis rental offices will allow their cars to be left in Niagara Falls. (Bit of a bummer but it could be worse.)

As ShaneMc mentioned, I'm able to get another car across the border for my on-going trip to Washington DC.

Thanks for all the help

Back