Car rear-ended

I was at fault in an accident a few months ago and had to weigh up whether or not to just pay cash for the repairs to the other car or to declare it to my insurance. In the end I went through my insurance for a few reasons.

1. Any incident needs to be reported to my insurance company within 48 hours and I was concerned that by the time the other party got a quote for repairs, if it turned out to be unaffordable, I would then be outside the timescale for declaring the accident to my insurer (and I was skint!)
  2. I was concerned there could be a subsequent injury claim. (It was a minor bump at about 2MPH, but you can never be too careful!)
  3. I had protected no claims for 10+ years, and ran my details through a price comparison website declaring the accident details and it made very little difference in my premium. Have just renewed and am paying less this year than last!!
  4. The repair was £700 in the end so very glad I went through my insurance as don't have that sort of money going spare!!
In relation to the OP if the 3rd party doesn't cough up you may well be outside the time limit for declaring the incident with your own insurer. Not sure what the penalty would be for a late declaration. If you do report it to your insurance company, even if you're not making a claim, chances are they'll want the Reg of the 3rd party, so her insurance will probably find out about the accident that way since insurers share information

Back