car radio not working

thesimpsons

Had to have the battery replaced recently and more or less since then the can't get the car radio to pick up any stations. The odd time I might be able to tune into a station for 10 minutes or so and then it is lost again. I've tried all the various channels, auto search, manual search, etc. The cd player is working fine so its not the speakers. I disconnected and reconnected the battery last night but no difference. The aeriel hasn't been bent or broken. Anyone any ideas.

As above, it probably needs the factory code... check in your guide books if you happen to have them.

I have all the books I got with the car but theres nothing in them. Thought it might be a code or something myself. I'll ring the garage myself tomorrow. Tks

Had a ford focus once that needed some front bumper damage repaired.

On its return, the car radio worked much the same way you describe. Sounded like it was just having trouble picking up a station.

What had happened wsa that in taking off the bumper, the repairers had caused the in-built antenna (which was in the bumper) to blow and it had to be replaced.

Something similar might have happended when you changed the battery. a mains dealer would best help you.

If the radio neede to be re-coded it would not switch on at all, you would just get an error code on the display and it would be effectively dead.
I would suspect that the aerial connection has been disturbed in some way, so back track to the wiring loom all around where you were working when replacing the battery.

Doesn't sound like a Radio code problem. If it was you wouldn't be able to use the system at all.

As all have suggested check the aerial, do basic checks, take out radio and make sure antenna is still connected.. could of slipped out by coincidence...

Or, damage to the aerial, is your aerial visable? IE on top of your car?

Easiest thing would be double check the aerial connection, could be a quick fix..

Otherwise you'll need to troubleshoot to find the failed component.

What is the brand of car radio?. I am a full time car audio service engineer---I take a guess your radio is a Ford 6000 Cd / radio

its a Clarion cd/radio. auto electrician checked it and says the radio is gone but I'm reluctant to splash out on new one at moment. even from scrappers its 80euro. Its coded so need to get the proper Peugeot one apparently.

Tuner unit is faulty and needs to be replaced. This is a costly repair.

I need a code for my car radio/cd
Its a 2004 Ford Focus. Whats the easiest way to retrieve the code.

Sometimes, its written on the underside of the radio. Take radio out and have a look. Otherwise, you have to go to a Ford dealer.

Jasonr,
If your radio is a ford 6000 CD/radio there are programs on the internet that will generate a 4 digit code depending on the serial no. you input into this program.
This type of radio only allows you to input a code 10 times only before it is permenantly disabled. So make sure you input it correctly.

Back