Car prices

J

JohnJRyan

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me if car prices tend to drop much on the turn on the year. Im thinking of buying a second hand one -maybe 02 - and Im wondering if it makes sense to wait until January. In theory the car automcatically becomes a year older so it should drop.
Any thoughts??
John

If you can wait until late January / February, it is probably worth your while. I noticed a fall-off in resale value on my own car (based on ads that I saw in the paper) of just over 1000 euro. I would expect the car to lose value of about 2000 to 2500 over a full year.

Its also worth bearing in mind that the ads may not reflect the final sale price of a car. I wouldn't be afraid of ringing a vendor and offering them less than advertised because the car will be a year older in Jan. If its a garage, they could be keen to get the car off their books before year end.

Garages should be especially keen to offload secondhand cars around January/February since there would be a flood of them coming in from trade-ins. Only an opinion though, no real experience of it I'm afraid.

Car Prices tend to fall 10-15% in Jan, as they are deemed a year older in the trade.

Back