Motor Car policy in spouses name

readysteadygo

Hi,

Question regarding car insurance...we have 2 cars,
Car 1 is a family car and Car 2 is an old banger for commutting to work.

Car 1:
- Driven by my spouse most of the time,
- Car is registered in my name,
- The insurance policy is in my name, with my spouse as a named driver

Car 2 (old banger):
- Driven by me most of the time,
- Car is registered in my spouses name,
- The insurance policy is in my spouses name, with me as a named driver.

Question:
Is there any risk of not being covered if the motor policy is not in the regular drivers name?

The obvious thing if to check with the insurance company but just wanted to ask here first :)

Hi,

Question regarding car insurance...we have 2 cars,
Car 1 is a family car and Car 2 is an old banger for commutting to work.

Car 1:
- Driven by my spouse most of the time,
- Car is registered in my name,
- The insurance policy is in my name, with my spouse as a named driver

Car 2 (old banger):
- Driven by me most of the time,
- Car is registered in my spouses name,
- The insurance policy is in my spouses name, with me as a named driver.

Question:
Is there any risk of not being covered if the motor policy is not in the regular drivers name?

The obvious thing if to check with the insurance company but just wanted to ask here first :)

Not at all to be 100% frank - no need to go into main user issues here as there is none.

There isn't a problem.

This shouldn't be a problem but you should let the insurer know, just to be completely on the safe side. Main user issues can arise if the insurer suspects it is done for the purpose of say, getting cheaper insurance. But this would be very rare. I don't know how an insurer could even proof such a case where drivers are married.

Hi, I'm in the same situation myself... just make sure you state the car owner & main driver when renewing the insurance, should not be an issue if a claim was ever to be made....

Many policies these days actually allow you to do this, but as horusd says, you should check with the insurer to be sure; particularly if you're with a budget insurer like Quinn, who'll do anything to get out of paying out.

I would not be so quick to say that there is no problem here.

Most insurers like/prefer/insist that the policy holder is the MAIN driver of the car indexed on the policy with the named driver being the driver who uses it less.

I know that I have been asked this question many times over the years when filling in motor insurance applications.

Why not change over the name on the policies to reflect who drives each car the most, unless as has been previously suggested that there is some monetary gain in not doing so.

As, like any insurance, non disclosure may render it null and void, so, also as previously stated, make sure you inform the insurer exactly who is the main driver of each car.

It is true that many insurer's require the vehicle to be owned by the policyholder/main user. But in married couples insurance, it's not generally a major issue. Just disclose it, send an email or make a call. Bear in mind it may have implications for the price of the policies. If both of you have max NCB's and similar ages, licences & experience, it probably won't. But check it out. If you have a max ncb on one car only , then as a rule of thumb, this should cover the most expensive car, as the discount should be greater. This is straying off-topic a bit, but it might be relevant, so I 've mentioned it.

Back