Car Lights

W

Westbound

I bought a new car just over a year ago. Since then I have to replace the bulb in one headlamp 3 times and has blown yet again. I have had to replace the bulb in the other as well. I do about 20K miles a year - but this doesn't seem normal. I asked them to check it at the last service, but they suggested a 'stronger bulb'. the recommended buld is the H7. Perhaps there someone out there who might know if there may a more signicant problem?

I have a car which uses the same bulbs, and also seem to be constantly replacing them. I wonder if it is the bulb design.

d

Hi Westbound,

Your car is not an Opel by any chance?

but they suggested a 'stronger bulb'. the recommended buld is the H7
A "stronger" bulb (higher wattage?) will run hotter and so would be more likely to blow, I would have thought.
Also, H7 refers to the design/shape of the bulb, and not the strenght/wattage, so a stronger one will still be H7 for your car.

Lights

Had this problem too. In fact I had to drive the last 15 miles into Belfast with only my full beams working so I was driving a bit of the time without lights at all. Anyways asked my garage man what the story was and he just said that the lights I bought in the motor shop were very inferior and replaced them with the ones I now have for at least a couple of years and I drive with my lights dipped permanently.
So i'ld advise just going to you mechanic and ask him to replace the lights. It's a five minute job so he should't charge you labour just the cost.

Re: Lights

Thanks for the replies. What would those in the know recommend as a good quality bulb? I used Lucas the last time.

Lucas Electrics / Prince of Darkness (was Car Lights)

[broken link removed]

Your battery might be overcharging the dynamo might be the problem .

I have a Seat Ibiza. The brake lights are constantly blowing. And I have been behind a load of other Seat Ibizas with the same issue, tis around the 96, 97, 98 era of the ibiza.

Re: ..

Now the indicator on the left side has gone funny - the bulb still works (on hazards light setting), but when I indicate left the indicator 'click' goes much faster and the light doesn't work. I'll have to go to the dealer and ask them to check it all out, hopefully the warranty will cover it!

Thanks for all suggestions.

Back