Car Insurance

J

Joe1234

I have recently passed my driving test. I am a named driver. Should the main policy holder be entitled to a refund of the car insurance premium from the date I obtained my full licence until the expiry date of the insurance policy?

Hi,
I would imagine so, now that you have passed your test - you are deemed less of a liability. If you contacted the "AA Insurance Hotline" they may have more info.
Regards,
Horse.

But don't be expecting too much back, the refund for a driver obtaining a full licence is usually much less that people think.

My mother got £200 back a couple of years ago when i passed mine! She was paying £1300 and I passed it near the end of the year (after 8 or 9 months).

Thanks for your replies. I have since checked with the insurance broker, and was told absolutely no way was any refund due!!! Can't complain too much, as I have only passed the test a month before the insurance expires.

A friend of mine whos daughter passed the test last week and his insurance is up in early May got €102 back, so this should be a general thing.

**On a similar vein my son who is on his second provisional licence, went to insure his little car which had not been used for 2 years as he was in college and on a few months travel. The insurance company agreed to insure the car but when they heard that the van had not been used for the two years they refused to insure it, as they said that it was too long off the road. Has anyone any comment to make, or any suggestions ?**

Comment to make, or suggestions.

Surely you will also needto tax the car or is it a van? A member of the Gardai would needto sign the form for that surely to confirm that the vehicle was off the road? If theydo ths for you are the insurance co. then going to dispute there word? If its gd enough for the motor tax office why is it not good enough for the insruance co?

The Insurnace Ombudsman might be interested to hearthis.

Joe, a month is a month. I'd be expecting a small refund, nominal even, a couple of euro... if my insurance co told me passing the test was worthless I'd enjoy telling them how I'll now be taking my business elsewhere.

Had intended to ring the broker back all week but only got around to doing it today, to check what I was told last week. The answer I got today was that practically no insurance company would refund any premium because the circumstances changed in our favour. Any that do refund policyholders would only do it if there was at least 3 months left on the policy.

Tell them you will take your business elsewhere if they dont and see the reaction.

Back