Car insurance renewal vs online quote difference

Placeinthesun

I received my renewal quote for car insurance of €375.
I went to insurer site and entered all the same details but different name and phone number and got a quote of €290
I then opened another tab, re entered details and used my correct name and phone number and at end message displayed that we are unable to provide you with a quote.

I thought legislation was passed a few years back saying they could not discriminate between existing and new customers? But maybe not.

(There was no new customer discount in the €290 quote (ie it would often show that in breakdown of quote. There was €100 discount for online)).

Are they allowed to do this ? I have screenshots of the quotes etc. might try ring them tomorrow and see (though notoriously difficult to get them via phone).

Broker is Its4women, insurer is AIG.
When going directly to its4women website got the much lower price quote €290, versus the renewal quote they emailed me.

Pricing walking was banned for motor and home insurance. That means your renewal price won't increase every year for no reason other than you've stayed with the same insurer.

What you've described, where new and existing customers are charged different prices though the use of discounts, is still allowed.

Last edited:
Just to update on how this panned out

Its4women renewal quote €375 (insurer is AIG)
Enter fake details (name, email) on Its4women site and quote of €290
Enter correct details and message that can’t quote me (presumably detecting I’m existing customer?)
Given the actual insurer is AIG went directly to that site, entered details and got the €290 quote and have completed purchase.

Just to update on how this panned out

Its4women renewal quote €375 (insurer is AIG)
Enter fake details (name, email) on Its4women site and quote of €290
Enter correct details and message that can’t quote me (presumably detecting I’m existing customer?)
Given the actual insurer is AIG went directly to that site, entered details and got the €290 quote and have completed purchase.
I did exactly the same, renewal email quouted around 350, i did online quotes with the usual suspects, did an online quote with a slightly different address (putting town on line 2 rather than line 3 or whatever) with AIG and quote came in <300. It was the cheapest of the lot.

Back