Motor Car Insurance quotes - things to look out for

sadie

I'm in the process of checking quotes for next months renewal. I am amazed at the increase in price since last year. Things I'm noticing about car insurance quotes that people need to watch out for:

- Breakdown rescue/roadside assistance: in most cases this is now being offered as an 'optional extra' now, for the past few years it has been included with a lot of insurers. Don't presume its included. Also its really useful if you can get a replacement car in the event of a breakdown and not just if you have an accident/claim.
- Open Driving Vs Third party someone else's car if over aged 25. A lot of insurance companies are putting 'Open Driving' as an optional extra. Generally it is already included that you are insured to drive someone else's car Third Party if you are over 25 and have a full licence. The Open Driving is something different and is a very expensive 'optional extra'. At first glance it is very easy to mix it up with the Third Party thing that is included already so if you don't need fully Comp on other people's cars you won't need this.

If anyone else spots anything helpful please add!

Here we go again.

Driving other cars / 3rd party extension : Insures the policy-holder to drive cars other than that identified on the policy with 3rd party cover. The insured's policy is the covering insurance. Restrictions may apply e.g. engine size, value, car cannot be owned by the insured, etc

Open driving cover : Insures drivers other than the insured or those named on his/her policy to drive the insured's car. The insured's policy is the covering insurance. Restrictions usually apply e.g. drivers between 25 & 70, full licence, etc.

There is a huge difference between open driving and driving another persons car!

Back