Car insurance question

JohnJay

HI everyone,

I am thinking about changing jobs, but if I do I will have to give up my company car and buy my own one. The new company will pay me millage (c 50c per mile, I think).

The problem is though, I have never had insurance in my own name. I'm 30, full licence, no points. I had a minor claim on my previous companies insurance 3.5 years ago - the damage was to my car only (the big truck I crashed into was not damaged!) and nobody was hurt. The claim came to a few grand. Siince that I have had 3 years claim-free driving as a named driver (with a different company)

My questions are,
a.) if I get insurance in my own name, am I obilged to tell them about my previous claim? and
b.) if yes, how much of an effect will it have on cost of my insurance?

J

1/. Yes. Doing otherwise would be non disclosure.

2/. Most co's will give you a 3 year ncb, based on your record as a named driver. So you will pay more than someone with a full ncb, but it shouldn't be horrific.

What effect will it have on my own insurance that I had a claim on a company policy 3 years ago? I mean, will there be further loading on my premium because of the claim, or will they just treat me like someone who has only 2 years driving experience? I dont mind if its the latter....

Back