Car Insurance Question

K

Ken Slade

I was just wondering whether or not somebody would have an answer for a question that has been pestering me for a while.

Can you insure one vehicle with two different insurance companies in two different names.

Fors instance, my g/f has her car insured and i need to keep my insurance policy open for the month to get a years no claims discount. Could i insure myself on her car too for the month with my insurance company which is different from hers.

Alternatively how could i keep myself insured for the month after selling my car. (i need to keep my insurance open until the 24th June to get my no claims bonus).

Any help would be appreciated, i think i have explained myself lol.

Just because you have sold your car you dont have to cancel your policy.
Just let your policy run until renewal date and get your no claims bonus. Your insurance company wont complain as you will hardly cause an accident or have your car stolen when you have sold your car!

You cannot insure something that you no longer have an insurable interest in, i.e. a car you no longer own. Therefore, I wouldn't advise this course of action. Also, you cannot overinsure. These are basic principles of insurance.

If you have bought a new car, why not transfer the insurance onto that?

Are you sure you invalidate your NCB by cancelling with a month to go?

no i dont have a new car as of yet thats my problem. Cheers for the info CCOVICH thats exactly what i wanted to know about both questions lol.

Im going to try and phone my company and see what they can do, if not i might have to buy a cheap thing as the ncb for me saves me a good 700 quid on most cars, if not more!

You should be able to suspend your policy until renewal - this way not only will you get to keep your ncb but also you should get a refund for the month you are not driving. It probably won't be a full refund normally arround 75% of that months premium. Also insured and partner policies are fairly cheap these days so if you need to get arround (and she lets you) ask her to find out how much to add you onto her policy - with some insurers it could be free

Back