Car Insurance question re student commuting

Daddy Ireland

My son is insured with AIG through Boxymo. Whilst they have there shortcomings it is a viable way to insure young drivers. He is comprehensively covered on his own car though comprehensive doesn't stretch to breakdown assistance. Anyway he passed his test and is thinking of commuting in the car from the country to university next September so in effect will be driving to Dublin from the country on Sunday evening's and returning on Friday evening's. His renewal is coming up in June and there is a question that I would help on rather than approach Boxymo on. There is a standard question on the renewal which asks 'do you use the car to commute to work'. Do I answer yes or no to that as he is commuting as a student to university ? He has a part time job too down the country so should yes be the answer or does a part time job be covered under social, domestic and pleasure ?
Thanks for any advice offered.

The commute to work aspect is to identify those that carry samples etc for their work, a slightly different insurance class prevails for this group, most people commute to work, it will not affect your premium, your son is a student and works part time as most do, not a problem, very common so from my point of view no disclosure is required.

You could be asked ... where is the car normally kept? ... If kept in Dublin mainly for the year it could attract a higher premium. They might also ask about garaging ...

Last edited:
Ok I guess the answer to that one is Dublin. It's roughly 5 months in the country and 7 months in the city.

The commute to work aspect is to identify those that carry samples etc for their work,
Untrue. What you are talking about is Class 2 insurance to get cover for the carriage of goods and samples, Class 1 insurance covers use in connection with business travel where mileage allowance might be paid by employer. For a private vehicle, the other class of usage is SD&L.

The "commute to work aspect" has to do with two things a) frequency of use, at least twice a day, and b) time of use, rush hours primarily. So it is used to establish if the policy-holder / proposer commutes to work. SImples

I tried to get a quote from Boxymo but fell outside their target audience (age I hope!!) but I was referred to their sister site where I got a quote almost identical to my current insurer, AXA via AIB. I was offered breakdown insurance for an additional €27 per annum on top of the comprehensive cover and the question about garaging was asked in the original Boxymo quote builder. I didn't have to go through all the Q&A again.

I know my get-a-quote wasn't a renewal, but they should be substantially the same. BTW @Daddy Ireland if your son drives the car to university on days he has classes/lab work/study groups/etc, I would answer "YES" to the commute question. I was never asked about an occupation or profession by Boxymo or the sister site.

EDIT: [broken link removed] is the sister site to boxymo

Last edited:
Thanks mathemac. Didn't know Boxymo had a sister site. Why would they need to have that would you know ? Son will not be driving to lectures just to and from Dublin at weekends.

You clearly want to do the right thing to protect yourself, that is why we buy insurance after all, ensure full disclosure and you will always be fine.

Why would they need to have that would you know ?
I dunno for sure, but if they ask the question there's surely a box that gets ticked in their intricate actuarial tables, which will result in a change in the risk profile, which will possibly mean a higher premium.

Back