Car insurance question - claim within the last THREE years, regardless of blame?

guessaname

Hi,

Recently I had a car accident where the other driver hit my car at the back. The accident happened when all the cars were queued due to traffic jam and my car was the last car in the line. This guy probably was talking on the phone hit my car from the back and accepted his fault. His insurance company paid all the expenses and repairs.

Now I'm about to renew my car insurance and wondering what should be the answer to this question

Had any accidents/claims within the last THREE years, regardless of blame? (Yes/No)

Can you please advice?

Thanks
G

So really the original driver who hit you should have also compensated you for the fact that you are now unable to get online quotes...

Yes I thought the same but I cannot get an online quote when I answer this question as Yes.:(

I think you have answered your own question, say no. I was always told if I ever made a claim against somebody else (haven't ever claimed against somebody else) not to include it when renewing my insurance as you are unfairly discriminated against by your insurance.

I think the question should be have made a claim on your own insurance or had a claim made against you - much more relevant IMHO

Yes, but by saying 'No' you may invalidate your entire application.

It'd be better to complain to some regulatory body about the nonsense nature of this question... and to have it removed from the form.

You shouldn't be discriminated against because someone crashed into you, but here the insurance are clearly discriminating against you by denying you online quotes... despite no wrongdoing on your part.

There is one possibility that would allow for this, and that's if you're part of a gang that deliberately cause accidents... i.e someone driving close behind, then your partner cuts across you both, you jam on... get rear ended by an innocent party, and put in a claim.. If this had happened many times to one person then an inferrence could be made that something dodgy was going on.. of course it couldn't be proved easily and so it shouldn't matter but maybe the insurance companies want to use this type of info against you.

a similar thing happened to me a few years back - the week before my insurance was due for renewal ... i had been shopping around for cheaper quotes - then somebody hit my car while I was parked - because they were liable and my insurance company was dealing with the case, I was unable to change insurance companies until the issue was settled!

Perhaps you could complain to the Data Commissioner

This Case Study by him resulted in insurance companies being forced to remove questions about marital status as they were considered 'excessive' (i.e un-necessary)

(link)
[broken link removed]

The insurance company must have a reason for each piece of information it requires.. I wonder what the reason they'd give for needing info on 'no blame' claims made by people...

Perhaps they have an actuary considering whether people are just "unlucky"...

ONQ.

Back