Car Insurance for Automatic car.

Megan

Would insurance for an automatic car cost more then for the same spec manual car?

we have automatic didn't notice any difference in quotes

Would insurance for an automatic car cost more then for the same spec manual car?

Bear in mind that unless it's a model expected by buyers to be auto (certain Mercs, BMWs, Jaguar etc) then you might find it hard to sell on - or at least may have to be prepared to take less.

Bear in mind that unless it's a model expected by buyers to be auto (certain Mercs, BMWs, Jaguar etc) then you might find it hard to sell on - or at least may have to be prepared to take less.

Would people not see it as an unexpected perk to get a car with automatic gearbox in a normal spec car? A friend once had a Focus with an automatic gearbox and he loved it and had no problem selling it on.

As to the OP, I don't think there would be any difference in insurance.

Would people not see it as an unexpected perk to get a car with automatic gearbox in a normal spec car?

Maybe some do, but when browsing www.carzone.ie etc for small/small family hatches for example, it seems that on most occasions the auto version of a car is selling for sometimes up to €750 or even €1000 less than the manual equivalent. Maybe it's very model dependent though.

Thanks Peader. It's a Honda Accord iVtec Executive Auto. It seems to be hard to get an quote on line as it seems to be treated the same as a sports car. I have to phone to get a quote.

Megan, Vtec rings alarm bells with a lot of insurers - some think of it as equivalent to Type R, GTi etc - which is not always the case at all.

I've found some insurers to be more flexible about this than others: FBD for example.

hi

i have a triptronic min cooper and i so love it.No more gears in heavy traffice.it cost me €2,000 extra but so worth it.My other half has a bmw x5 that is automatic.having an automatic will not be hard to sell.You will see in the futire a lot more cars will be automatic.

My wife had a ford focus manual insured with FBD and changed to a Landrover Freelander automatic. When getting the quote I said jeep was automatic does it make a difference. Her reply was we don’t penalise you for being lazy. No price difference.

Not sure about more cars being automatic in the future with new tax brackets.

I think with increasing congestion, lights and traffic calming. You'll see more automatics, especially diesels. Traditionally people prefered manuals in Ireland. But I think thats slowly changing.

The company I work for has a scheme where one of the questions on the proposal form is whether its an automatic. The load is only 1% if it is. Can't remember ever being asked when comparing quotes online.

Back