Car Insurance - Extended Travel to Europe

All_Fired_Up

I'm planning to spend 6-7 months in Europe next winter and bringing the car over with me. I myself will return home a number of times during the period, so no residency issues for me personally. Also expect the car to move between two neighbouring countries during the period so won't exceed registration limits in any one country while abroad.

My car insurance renewal is up so I started discussing extended cover for the time in Europe and so far am meeting a blank wall. Anything over 90 days appears to be a problem.

Anyone know of a company or broker who would deal with cases like this?

I've been able to get up to six months cover for Europe with Aviva who insure my car
The first 3 months are included in the policy at no extra charge but you have to inform them of the travel
The next three months cost me in and around €90 and it's only TPF&T not fully comp IIRC
You can't get more then six months cover from an Irish insurer and you will have to inform them of all the countries you intend to visit in advance

Thanks @Cervelo - just checked with them and confirmed that option is open to me too (€94 for the additional 90 days), and as a bonus they are a few quid cheaper on their quote for my renewal :).

Back