Car Insurance Disclosure & Assumptions

Cervelo

Have just renewed my car insurance with Aviva but got a quote from 123 and I noticed this change to one of their questions about my driving history,

"Have you ever received any convictions or have any prosecutions pending a court hearing? Please do not disclose convictions that are considered spent."

But then in the section that deals with assumptions about me, (the insured) they assume that I,
  1. have never been convicted of any motoring offence nor have never been disqualified from driving nor have a prosecution pending a court hearing
  2. have never been convicted of any Non-Road Traffic Act offence or have any prosecution pending a court hearing
So do I inform them of a speeding conviction from 1996 or is that spent??

Was this a conviction in court or a Fixed Penalty Notice? The later aren't convictions, so don't need to be notified.

Was this a conviction in court or a Fixed Penalty Notice? The later aren't convictions, so don't need to be notified.

It was a conviction in court, so does that mean I have to notify them even though it is a spent conviction ??

It was a conviction in court, so does that mean I have to notify them even though it is a spent conviction ??

For insurance anyway, according to Citizens Information you don’t have to notify them.

Under the Criminal Justice (Spent Convictions and Certain Disclosures) Act 2016, which came into effect on 29 April 2016, a range of minor offences will become spent after 7 years. This means that an adult convicted of an offence covered by the Act does not have to disclose the conviction after 7 years, except in certain circumstances.

Offences

The convictions which may be regarded as spent after 7 years are set out in Section 5 of the Act. They are:

· All convictions in the District Court for motoring offences except for convictions for dangerous driving which are limited to a single conviction

· All convictions in the District Court for minor public order offences

· A single conviction (other than a motoring or public order offence) in the District or Circuit Court which resulted in a term of imprisonment of 12 months or less (or a fine)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/spent_convictions.html

Back