Motor Car Insurance Cover for Driving Abroad

G

green_shoots

Hello,

Anyone know if its possible to get car insurance cover for driving abroad beyond the normal 30 day limit? I am going to work in belgium for up to 12 months and would like to take my car over with me.

Cheers.

This question was raised and explored recently - try a search. You'll need to talk to your insurers AFAIK.

Hi,

I have just purchased European Breakdown cover via Irish Ferries Website - it is with Accident & General & there is an option for travel in excess of 31 days (at an additional premium). The cover is provided by Europassist. You could email Accident & General [email protected]. They come back to you very promptly & you can't view the policy details on the Irish Ferries website for some reason but they will email it to you directly.
We went with them because we have a car older than 10 years & other providers were limited or very expensive. The cover seems fine once you have kept your car serviced regularly etc

thats just breakdown assistance while abroad! The OP is looking for car insurance!

Hello,

Anyone know if its possible to get car insurance cover for driving abroad beyond the normal 30 day limit? I am going to work in belgium for up to 12 months and would like to take my car over with me.

Cheers.

Better late than never. I have worked in Motor Insurance.

All Irish motor insurance companies are subject to EU Directives, particularly The Third EC Directive on Motor Insurance 1992. This states all motor insurance policies issued in an EU member state (eg Ireland) automatically covers the policyholder to the minimum Third Party cover required of any other country in the EU (and certain additional countries). This means when you cross a border, you are automatically covered, to the minimum legal Third Party Cover of that country, without any obligation to inform your insurance company. There is also no maximum time period for this cover to be applicable (outside your policy going past it’s renewal date), ie you can legally go to Italy for 3 months the same way you can go to Donegal for 3 months.

To confirm this, read the territorial limits on your motorhome insurance policy document, which should state the entire EU and additional countries (eg Norway, Switzerland). Please note what I say is related to Third Party cover only. I leave you to discuss with your insurance company where you stand in relation to your fire, theft and/or comprehensive cover.

Some people request Green cards from their insurance company when they go abroad. I can tell you there is absolutely no need to do this. Your insurance certificate is more than adequate. However, if it gives you peace of mind, then go ahead.

My commercial insurance policy on a van only applies within the 26 counties.. it doesn't even apply in Northern Ireland.

It does apply in the UK and Northern Ireland if i tell the insurance company first that I'm travelling in those areas.. no travel to the continent at all.. is this legal?

I'm going to have to check out that legislation that was quoted..

The issue is that the OP is living in Belgium for a year. So he will not be a permanant resident in Ireland. he will be a permanant resident in Belgium.
Therefore odds are he will have to take out an insurance policy in Belgium for the 12 months.

My insurance co. told me that basic third party cover is freely available for continental driving. If you have comprehensive cover this is available for a total of 31 days dirving on the continent....if you want more you pay for it. I rang the company to inform them of my holiday plans and was told that it was no longer necessary to inform them of foreign driving. He didnt want details of my policy and said the conditions I have mentioned were applied automatically!

Back