Car insurance & cover for courtesy car

Daniel12

Getting my car serviced today, at the time of booking I asked about a courtesy car & was said it was no problem.

Checked my insurance document's which state that I am covered to drive any other car, fully comprehensive. Called them when I got the car...and €25 charge to "change over" the reg for a few hours! Their t&c exclude lease or rental but not specifically.

Anyone had this.

Daniel - is that with AA per chance? Got hit with that last year and no moving them on the charge. If you borrow a family / friends car, then the insurance would be ok, no need to change, but transferring the insurance over, there is an "admin" charge of €25 per transaction. One of the reasons I've left AA insurance.

I would be covered under my AXA policy to drive another car I don't own temporarily like in your situation but if I ring them to actually switch the insurance cover to the other car then there will be an admin fee. It didn't need switching over if you were covered to drive it for a temporary one off like that.

Yes it is with AA!

Ive asked for a manager to call me back, never in 20 years have I had a charge for a courtesy car.

Double whammy got charged €25 extra by Bill Sheehan for the car!!

Daniel - it's turning into an expensive car service :eek:

Hopefully you'll get it sorted, if / when manager calls you back. As I mentioned, this is just one of the reasons I left AA...

Well the manager called me back, and it turns out I am covered - but if I hadn't kicked up about it then they wouldn't have refunded the amount off their own bat!

But 5-10 working days for refund!

Great result for you Daniel - hopefully you'll have evidence of that refund (or at least got the persons name that you talked to!) - just in case it's not refunded in the "5-10 working days"...

Double whammy got charged €25 extra by Bill Sheehan for the car!!
Triple whammy. Be very careful here, please.

If there is a charge for the courtesy car than it is rented to you, therefore you have no cover. You're only covered on your own insurance on a loaner and unless the dealer's charge includes temporary insurance cover, you have no cover to drive it.

I got hit with a whopping €60 charge for this before, all for the 6 hours that the car was being serviced. The "helpful" cs rep for the insurance company said it was because the courtesy car was worth more than my own car (the dealer gave me a nearly new model for the few hours). No matter what I said (including pointing out I could have hired a car for less) they would not budge on it. She did say that this charge is standard but that they usually waive it if the courtesy car is equal to or less to the value of your own car. I learned my lesson that day I can tell you, any more courtesy cars will be vetted before I accept them!

Back