Car insurance, comparison sites

Chewbacca

Looking to get new car insurance on new owned car, previously a named driver , older and didn't have car as lived abroad though licence for years. Was checking An Post gave a circa quote €500 v Axa circa €735 but wait.... then got An Post quote for my father of circa €700 versus current bout €500 with Axa, hes older and had no claims etc and I have 2 years named driver seems a bit crazy. I'm thinking some kid of two car family/combined would be best so 2 cars and can drive each others cars, is anyone better for this or can I go on bonkers or some other site and get a quote for this kind of policy?

I'm finding it very difficult to understand your post. If you could put some structure on it maybe someone could help you.

Let me know if my reading of it is correct:
You are:
  • Seeking a quote for yourself, and this will be the first policy in your own name here
  • You've held a license for years, but experience was mainly abroad
  • You have 2 years of named driver experience (in Ireland?)
  • As a comparison you sought a quote for your father who has full no-claims, but An Post quoted more for him than for you

I'm not aware of a single policy option that will cover two drivers on two cars, but you could seek quotes listing each other as named drivers on the two policies. That might work out better for you than your father due to your limited driving record here, but adding a fully qualified named driver to your policy usually reduces the cost.

Different insurers have different appetites for different risk profiles, and so you need to shop around some more for each policy. As a comparison, I put my own details into the An Post quote system and the quote I got was 30% more than I'm currently paying, so just because they may offer better value for you than Axa, doesn't mean they will for all.

Is there any benefit in letting current policy lapse for a day, and then calling existing provider for a new quote rather than renewing straight off the bat?

Is there any benefit in letting current policy lapse for a day, and then calling existing provider for a new quote rather than renewing straight off the bat?
No, you can go through your insurer's online portal to obtain a quote as a new customer and see if you get a better deal. Probably trickier to do over the phone.

Allowing the policy to lapse is a risk in case you don't find a cheaper quote and they then re-quote you at a higher rate than the renewal.

No, you can go through your insurer's online portal to obtain a quote as a new customer and see if you get a better deal. Probably trickier to do over the phone.

Allowing the policy to lapse is a risk in case you don't find a cheaper quote and they then re-quote you at a higher rate than the renewal.
thanks, yes it was more expensive when i looked for a new one!

Are there any car insurance portals that allow you to put in your details and it generates an approximate quote, so far it's 'fill in your details' and we will contact you response.... the reason why l take the easy route out and automatically renew,, though probably costing me hundreds... find this process really annoying/frustrating ..... second only to trying to cancel subscriptions...

I'm with Aviva. I got a renewal quote last week for €434 down form €490 or so last year. I went onto Chill and got a number of quotes with the cheapest being €380. Went back to Aviva and they didn't quite match but reduced it down to €390 so I stuck with them. Its a half hour a year but well worth it.

Back