Motor Car insurance claim question

Westy29

There is a named driver on my policy and she also has her own full insurance on her own car.......

If she has an accident in my car does she claim on my policy or on her own

Depends on policy wording.

Driving other cars extension only gives THIRD PARTY cover to the person using the extension. That means that your named driver has Third Party cover under her own policy whilst driving your car.

Some insurers deal with the claim 100% under DRIVERS policy, but others, QUINN & FBD at least, share 50/50 driver/owner. If the claim is shared 50/50, it is the DRIVERS NCB that is stopped.

Last edited:
I was in similar situation recently - had accident while driving other half's car. It is up to you how you decide to proceed, I took the claim on my insurance for the TP damage and we paid cash for other

its NOT up to you. Your policy wording decides. Why did you pay cash for damage to other halfs car? If there was comprehensive cover and you were a named driver, then you could have claimed without loss of NCB.

hi Ravima
you seem to understand this area and I have a similar situation.
Whilst reversing out wifes car I accidentally bumped into parked Jeep. Apparantly cost are in region of 1K. (goes to show damage you can do even at 2 KM p/h !!)
nyway there is no damage to wifes car at all.
so should I claim off he insurance or my own seeing as I am a named driver ?? PS we both have NCB claims protection.
Thanks

The situation is called dual indemnity - essentially any damage to another party is insured twice; once with the named driver policy and again with your own insurance IF this allows for the driving of other vehicles.

Usually the insurer of the vehicle settles the claim and then seeks 1/2 the pay out to third party from the named drivers own insurance.

No claims bonus protection is useful when staying with your current provider but in the above scenario both your and your partners policies are affected and this will have an impact should either of you decide to change insurers.

its NOT up to you. Your policy wording decides. Why did you pay cash for damage to other halfs car? If there was comprehensive cover and you were a named driver, then you could have claimed without loss of NCB.

Only if you had a protected NCB.
If you have a step back bonus you will go back two levels.

No Ed. Yiou are wrong in this case. Under dual indemnity NCD agreement, driver's NCD is affected and Car owners NCD is NOT affected, irrespective of protected NCB.

GoMayoGo: You claim under YOUR policy. If you report under WIFE's policy, you will be asked in any case if you have a policy in your own name with Driving Other Car extension (DOC). You MUST answer truthfully and then they will follow up with your insurers in any case. It will be YOUR NCB that will be affected at next renewal.

If you tell a lie and say you do not have DOC and they find out that you do and that you told a lie, they they could seek to avoid paying out, the claim, or if they do pay out, will seek recovery from you. That would have far more serious implications for you both at next renewal date, especially if they thought that you were perpetrating a FRAUD.

Hi Ravima

you're right. I processed the claim this morning and the first thing they asked was who i was insured with. i told them the truth and they eventually told me this is the way it works.
The case is when you are a named driver on someone elses car and you have an accident.
I was told the car I had an accident with is covered by my insurance and the car i was dirving is covered by my wfes insurance.
Fortunatly in my case no damage was done to my wifes car so she did not have her NCB affected.
there are 2 serious points to note though.
1: If my wifes car was damaged then her NCB would be affected as well as mine !! This is irregardless of the fact that I was driving and irregardless of the fact that I have driving other cars down on my policy.

2: Also this therefore means that both our NCB protection would be affected if this were the case.

So i guess the big question is what is the point in having a named driver on your policy as by my reckoning there is no benefit in this at all ??

There is a benefit in being a named driver - in the event that the vehicle you were driving was damaged (assuming that the insurance was comprehensive) then the accidental damage to the vehicle can be repaired through the insurance, this wouldn't be the case if you were driving under 3rd party extension only.

No Ed. Yiou are wrong in this case. Under dual indemnity NCD agreement, driver's NCD is affected and Car owners NCD is NOT affected, irrespective of protected NCB.

Sorry Ravima,

Just went through all my sharing agreements and you are correct.

Back