Car insurance: anyone else seeing a reduction?

I just got my quote from aviva, 320 last yr and 410 this yr, When I went online to get another quote, it wont give me a quote. Tried a few others same thing and then realised it is because my car is 2006 and therefore over 14 years old. I really dont understand this because if your car has a NCT, its roadworthy isnt it?
This is a widespread issue . Once the car hits north of 13 years the price increase significantly year on year . So replace the car or get use to ongoing increase

Rang liberty about my renewal and within 3 mins the lady on the phone could drop my renewal by €65 euro.
Axa is still cheaper so will go with them.

Update: When I checked the quote Aviva had given me, they hadnt included the loyalty discount. I didnt realise I hadnt given them my Irish driving licence no ( had a UK one until before Brexit) and got a discount for that too. Ended up with a quote of €280 fully comp. Happy with that

14% reduction on last year's fully comp. Car is a 2007. It's still costly due a legacy crash (not my fault - the other driver) but going in the right direction. Back in 2018 I used to pay almost c.1300 and it's around half that now.

14% reduction on last year's fully comp. Car is a 2007. It's still costly due a legacy crash (not my fault - the other driver) but going in the right direction. Back in 2018 I used to pay almost c.1300 and it's around half that now.
how is it costly if other lad at fault?

Other driver on my policy @ fault. Wrote the car off and damaged others - thankfully they weren't occupied by drivers at the time. Not a lad - a female.

Honest question, why would you do that? Its they exact behaviour cited in the CBI's differential pricing review.

Surely they had the opportunity to quote you the best price? You're now giving them a second bite. From their point of view they cant lose. They offer you an expensive policy, knowing you will call back to give them the best price you can get in the market. What incentive do they have to offer you a competitive quote at all?

So I broke my own rule. I received my renewal from 123 (RSA). Did the rounds, got quotes about €50 cheaper. (Reluctantly) Entered my details on 123 for a new quote and it was €125 cheaper than the renewal notice! Cue a large sigh… followed by my credit card details!

I received my renewal from 123 (RSA). Did the rounds, got quotes about €50 cheaper. (Reluctantly) Entered my details on 123 for a new quote and it was €125 cheaper
So much for price walking being a thing of the past. :mad:

Similar to my renewal experience with Aviva this year...

Last edited:
I just renewed again with AIG...but as a new customer similar to previous posts (thanks for the idea to check as I'd usually just check the competitors). I saved €104.87 euro (~25%).

I've shown the gross premiums for reference as this is where the cost has been reduced, everything else is more or less equal.

ProviderTotal CostGross PremiumNCB Discount
AIG Expiring/Existing Policy€389.35€1069.59€695.24 (65%)
AIG Renewal Quote€433.37€1098.79€723.77 (65.87%)
AIG New Customer€328.50€886.04€575.93 (65%)

• Fully Comp + named driver
  • Total cost inclusive of NCB protection (€30)
  • The Expiring policy and new customer have 10% promo code discount applied*
*Interestingly - even if I remove the 10% discount for a new customer of €34.11 (bringing it to €362.61), the new policy is still €70.76 cheaper than the renewal quote.

Also - I was able to do all this from within the AIG customer portal while logged in. On my portal now I have two policies showing, the existing one due to lapse this month and the new policy due to activate on lapse of the old one.

The only thing I had to do was upload both drivers licenses and the latest NCB (which they'd just given me as part of the recent renewal notice).

Back