Car insurance: anyone else seeing a reduction?

I got a quote from aviva, just couldnt figure out why it had gone up so much. Always get a few different quotes online but just getting a lot of "Cant give you a quote online" this year. It must be the age of the car cos have had no accidents or claims

@biddy123
Try Liberty for a comparison quote. No idea what their prices are like, but they seem to be the only ones that quote for new business with cars that age.

Renewal time -last year €805 with liberty and this year is €699.
Tried axa which came in at €585 fully comp.
I better give liberty a ring in the morning and see if they can match axa

I better give liberty a ring in the morning and see if they can match axa

Honest question, why would you do that? Its they exact behaviour cited in the CBI's differential pricing review.

In the CBI's review of differential pricing, they looked at consumer responses in response to an increase in premium:
Across the research, there is a clear preference for staying with an existing insurance provider. In fact, many consumers report that they compare prices with other insurance providers largely because it helps to negotiate a better price with their current provider, rather than switch provider.

Surely they had the opportunity to quote you the best price? You're now giving them a second bite. From their point of view they cant lose. They offer you an expensive policy, knowing you will call back to give them the best price you can get in the market. What incentive do they have to offer you a competitive quote at all?

Honest question, why would you do that? Its they exact behaviour cited in the CBI's differential pricing review.

Surely they had the opportunity to quote you the best price? You're now giving them a second bite. From their point of view they cant lose. They offer you an expensive policy, knowing you will call back to give them the best price you can get in the market. What incentive do they have to offer you a competitive quote at all?

I'll call them too see if they can better the price axa gave me.
They should give all consumers there best price but they don't -they want too get as much cash from every policy they can as there in the business of making money.

I'll counter what they have done by saying axa quoted me €100 less then there Actual quote and see if they bite (at that point jump in ill say I've my credit card in my hand ready too pay the years policy now)if they don't bite axa will get my money.

Liberty last year €520, renewal this year €480.
Comp with sister as named driver to get a discount (makes no difference with some insurers, discount with others, and loading with others so your mileage may vary).

It may be relevant that this is the first year that I have 5 years no claims and 4 full years on my full license.

Shopped around and Aviva will do comp (named driver again as it yielded a discount and increased volultary excess) for €300 or TPFT for €286.
While I'm not bothered about bells and whistles and would try to avoid claiming if at all possible due to the impact on NCD and future premiums, for the sake of €14 I may just take the comp.

Almost certainly Liberty are not going to come down by €180+ so I'm not going to even bother trying.

As ever who is "best" or most competitive depends on the specific risk profile but it never ceases to amaze me the wide variety of quotes that I get when I shop around - from €300 up to about €1K this year!

And what annoyed me is that - same as last year - if I went to Liberty as if I was a new customer I could get lower than €480. Which they would probably match if I told them (again same as last year) but they should not force customers to jump through hoops.

Last edited:
Probably mentioned somewhere already but Aviva just called me and told me that they can never go lower than €337.31 this year.

Because the de facto situation is that this approach works best for the individual consumer.
You shop around, identify the best offer, and then maybe go back to your current insurer or others to see if they can match/undercut that.
It shouldn't be like this but it is.
Until there is additional regulation that will be the case.
And unfortunately I suspect that additional regulation aimed at protecting the consumer will end up with most or all of them paying more.

CSO inflation data today showed that motor insurance fell 6.0% in the 12 months to August.

Dwelling insurance rose 1.4%.

Are such "macro" stats really of any relevance to the average punter?
Yes. If the CSO recorded the price of milk doubling in a year you would certainly be paying more for milk.

These statistics don't map to personal experience perfectly but the plural of anecdote is not data either.

got a 470 quote from chill, for 3rd party on a 05 toyota so essentially more than the value so went shopping around, got 299 with Aviva. still pays to spend 20 mins checking around but I know a lot of people don't bother.

I got a big saving last year by moving from AA to its4women. On renewal they have added 20%. Guess I have to shop around again.

The value of the vehicle has less influence on the quotations than the value of personal injuries claims.
yep understand that, but on a personal level it just rankles paying out more than the car is worth if you know what I mean :)

yep understand that, but on a personal level it just rankles paying out more than the car is worth if you know what I mean :)
I do, and it's something that gets raised very often. However, if we acknowledged that the main thing you are buying here is insurance to protect you from a large personal injury claim, more pressure might be applied to address that issue.

A MALE friend of mine is insured with its4women. Apparently they can't discriminate. I had to laugh.
I'm male and use its4women. They use that name and pink packaging to deter men, to get a better 'insurance book' - lower risk customers. It's the same reason why health insurance companies give free / cheap insurance to kids. It attracts younger customers who will cost more.

Back