Car insurance: anyone else seeing a reduction?

Check out Chill as well. I think they do an online quote. I did use them for a quote before. To avoid an annoying phone call, I altered my mobile somewhat!
I have a second number I usually put down for quotes - diverts them nicely. Its incredibly poor practice to not give the "best available price" on the basis of these now quite detailed web forms either.

Herself got renewal at €302 with Aviva. Down from €353 last year. That's the lowest ever for her. Includes me on the policy. Fully comp with the usual extras incl breakdown assistance.

She's 20years+ no claims, full licence etc

My renewal with Aviva just in and up by €140 since last year. No changes in the year, other than I'm a year older along with the car.

I was expecting a reduction - 17 years driving with no claims ever €660

My renewal with Aviva just in and up by €140 since last year. No changes in the year, other than I'm a year older along with the car.

I was expecting a reduction - 17 years driving with no claims ever €660
Stating the obvious but shop around, at the very least online.

Mind was down the massive sum of €7 with Aviva. Went through Chill and got it through Zurich for €120 less

Always add your partner as named driver and see if there's a difference. This can see up to 20% reduction in the quote.

Always add your partner as named driver and see if there's a difference. This can see up to 20% reduction in the quote.
Doesn't have to be a partner.
But different insurers deal with named drivers differently.
Some give a reduction.
Some increase the premium.
Only way to find out is to play with the data in the form.

One thing that surprised me was the some insurers (Zurich for example) were asking if I had a Taxsaver ticket. (I don't). I presume that results in a discount on the basis I wouldn't be using my car to commute to work. I'd not seen that asked before

I just got my quote from aviva, 320 last yr and 410 this yr, When I went online to get another quote, it wont give me a quote. Tried a few others same thing and then realised it is because my car is 2006 and therefore over 14 years old. I really dont understand this because if your car has a NCT, its roadworthy isnt it?

I just got my quote from aviva, 320 last yr and 410 this yr, When I went online to get another quote, it wont give me a quote. Tried a few others same thing and then realised it is because my car is 2006 and therefore over 14 years old. I really dont understand this because if your car has a NCT, its roadworthy isnt it?
I think many companies have maximum age limits for vehicles.

I really dont understand this because if your car has a NCT, its roadworthy isnt it?
It likely is, but roadworthy is a minimum standard. Look at how NCAP safety scores have changed over the past 15 years.

Also note that a significant factor in the loading on older cars is the statistical models that show they are more likely to be involved in claims accompanied with significant personal injuries claims.

That is very strange as I changed to Aviva as a new customer only beginning of this month with 2004 accord 2.0 petrol ( owned for 4 years if it matters) Done through their website

That is very strange as I changed to Aviva as a new customer only beginning of this month with 2004 accord 2.0 petrol ( owned for 4 years if it matters) Done through their website
It may or may not be very strange.
Nobody can really say.
It's almost impossible to compare one individual's quote with another's or draw any general conclusions because they will never be based on identical underwriting criteria, underwriting policies, or represent an identical risk profile to the insurer.

I really dont understand this because if your car has a NCT, its roadworthy isnt it?

An NCT absolutely does not mean your car is roadworthy. It means the car met the minimum standards on the day it was looked at.

Somebody better tell the RSA so...

Literally the next paragraph...

About your NCT Certificate.​

On successfully passing your NCT, you will be issued with an NCT certificate of roadworthiness. You will need to keep the certificate safe and be able to present it on request to a member of An Garda Siochána.

The certificate is proof that your vehicle met a set of basic requirements at the time of the test
(Their emphasis not mine)

Itchy's point is a good one. The NCT shows it met the minimum standards at the time of the test, it makes no warranty as to what condition it will be in an hour, let alone weeks or months later.

If that is the case, couldnt that be said about a newer car eg 2008-2018.?
Yes, of course. The NCT has nothing to do with it.

Most insurers won't take on new customers with cars over 10 years old due to the high number of staged accidents with recently purchased older cars. In some cases they will quote so long as you've owned the car for a period, and that car is already insured in your name. For Aviva it's 14 years for new customers.

My mam recently renewed her insurance on a 16 year old car without issue. 280 fully comprehensive with Aviva. My dad had an even older car until recently, and hadn't any issues renewing last year.

Looking at your posting history, you were also refused insurance 5 years ago?

Back