Car insurance: anyone else seeing a reduction?

RedOnion

Frequent Poster
My car insurance is due in early June.

I can do a like for like comparison as there were no changes during the year. I've the same car, same named drivers, etc.

In 2020 my renewal quote came in at 450 from Aviva. When I phoned, they brought it down to 413 (they matched another quote I got).

Received my renewal this week, and it's down to 350.

Initially I thought maybe they'd reduced it on the back of Covid as Aviva didn't give a refund, but after a very quick check AIG appear to be offering the same rate (well 353, which appears to be their minimum: 330 +7% levies).

Anyone else notice a reduction yet?

Mine was €426 last year with Allianz, the renewal came in at €446, after the phone call they dropped it to €414 which was as good as the best of quotes I got elsewhere.

So €12 down from last year.

A small change for me, but in the the right direction.

My car insurance is due in early June.

I can do a like for like comparison as there were no changes during the year. I've the same car, same named drivers, etc.

In 2020 my renewal quote came in at 450 from Aviva. When I phoned, they brought it down to 413 (they matched another quote I got).

Received my renewal this week, and it's down to 350.

Initially I thought maybe they'd reduced it on the back of Covid as Aviva didn't give a refund, but after a very quick check AIG appear to be offering the same rate (well 353, which appears to be their minimum: 330 +7% levies).

Anyone else notice a reduction yet?
Most likely due to the new "Quontom book of awards" recently agreed. Insurance costs were estimated to reduce by 20% or so due to the lower payouts.

@The Horseman
Yes, at I had interpreted that news that there 'might' be a reduction. That's the cynic in me.

I was surprised to see it actually reducing, especially so quickly after the announcement.

Hopefully others will see reductions.

I saw a reduction before the changes started.

575 last year.

Shopped around, Aviva Direct were running a promotion, 21% off.

423 if I have another Aviva Direct policy.

498 without.

I'm with Aviva as well but my car insurance has been in and around the same for the last four years
The quote that I've just renewed started at €327 but a quick call reduced it to €300
Mrs Cervelo is the same but she gets hers for about a tenner cheaper for some unknown reason
I wasn't expecting any decrease in our premiums from Aviva and I don't really shop around as I feel it's about as good as we're going to get

Turns out the reductions can be better than I thought.
When I got an online quote as a new customer, Aviva are quoting me 292, which is the cheapest I can get. Aviva will be getting another 'new' customer.

Turns out the reductions can be better than I thought.
When I got an online quote as a new customer, Aviva are quoting me 292, which is the cheapest I can get. Aviva will be getting another 'new' customer.
I had the exact same experience - renewal was coming in just over €400 but I went with Aviva who quoted €292 (and it was like for like in terms of cover).

+15% increase here, haven't shopped around yet. Motorbike policy went up €10. CAmpervan policy unchanged.

I feel very hard done by. I was insured with Axa for 3 or 4 years and happy with them until Covid kicked in and it became impossible to get requests seen to. I am still trying to get a cheque promised two months ago, and have a long sheet listing my numerous phone calls and the call centre promises or fob-offs.
My insurance renewal date came due. The premium went from just over €400, where it has been static for the years, to €520. I was shocked, and asked why the jump. To be told simply "They're all going up".

I moved to FBD, but am still paying €420.

Not just car insurance ( other half recently purchased car insurance with Aviva & it was down €150 to last year) - but home insurance too. I recently got a policy with Aviva with a saving of around €160 - again, like for like, regarding the policy cover.

Incidentally, If I'd used the car this little and had cancelled the insurance. I would lose my NCB in another half a year.
But because I didn't cancel it, my risk stays the same, even though I've done almost no driving. Makes sense....

I am with AIG. Due for renewal in June. Quote last year was €353, quote this year is €416, phoned and got it down to €396. They said a 20% discount for new business if renewing online with AIG. So I guess I will be trying another supplier. Will try Aviva

Just put my info into Aviva and got quoted €280. Is it worth phoning AIG back?

Last edited:
Is it worth phoning AIG back?
All it's going to cost you is a few minutes, so why not, but I can't see them matching it to be honest - it's a BIG difference from €396 to €280...
If you are moving to Aviva, get your no claims statement from AIG as soon as you can & you can upload it to the "myaviva" if / when you purchase insurance from them.

Last edited:
353 is their minimum premium
Yes I recall they said that to me last year when I renewed with them. I am so glad to see priced come down in general, spent years paying between €600-€700 so this is so much more reasonable.

I just got my renewal quote - I am insured with Aviva

Their quote is € 404 and they confirm that I paid € 329 last year - so no reduction there!

I would say that they have little chance of my renewing with them this year - but we will have to see

AIG in my renewal quote is €386. Applying for a quote as a new customer is €355. I guess they may have a new customer if they can't be beaten by anyone else.

Edit: After doing a large trawl of insurance companies over lunch, the above is the cheapest. Next step is to argue the toss over the phone of renewal vs new customer.

As an aside, it is clear from their website quotation engines, that Its4women.ie and Getsetgo.ie are AIG in disguise. Interestingly these sites were the next cheapest for me (within a few euro of €355) which would reinforce this supposition.

I wonder why AIG bother? Surely there is an additional cost on branding and website maintenance - at the very least- in operating these brands?

Last edited:
Back