Car insurance: anyone else seeing a reduction?

This is a widespread issue . Once the car hits north of 13 years the price increase significantly year on year . So replace the car or get use to ongoing increase

Rang liberty about my renewal and within 3 mins the lady on the phone could drop my renewal by €65 euro.
Axa is still cheaper so will go with them.

Update: When I checked the quote Aviva had given me, they hadnt included the loyalty discount. I didnt realise I hadnt given them my Irish driving licence no ( had a UK one until before Brexit) and got a discount for that too. Ended up with a quote of €280 fully comp. Happy with that

14% reduction on last year's fully comp. Car is a 2007. It's still costly due a legacy crash (not my fault - the other driver) but going in the right direction. Back in 2018 I used to pay almost c.1300 and it's around half that now.

14% reduction on last year's fully comp. Car is a 2007. It's still costly due a legacy crash (not my fault - the other driver) but going in the right direction. Back in 2018 I used to pay almost c.1300 and it's around half that now.
how is it costly if other lad at fault?

Other driver on my policy @ fault. Wrote the car off and damaged others - thankfully they weren't occupied by drivers at the time. Not a lad - a female.

So I broke my own rule. I received my renewal from 123 (RSA). Did the rounds, got quotes about €50 cheaper. (Reluctantly) Entered my details on 123 for a new quote and it was €125 cheaper than the renewal notice! Cue a large sigh… followed by my credit card details!

I received my renewal from 123 (RSA). Did the rounds, got quotes about €50 cheaper. (Reluctantly) Entered my details on 123 for a new quote and it was €125 cheaper
So much for price walking being a thing of the past.

Similar to my renewal experience with Aviva this year...

Last edited:
I just renewed again with AIG...but as a new customer similar to previous posts (thanks for the idea to check as I'd usually just check the competitors). I saved €104.87 euro (~25%).

I've shown the gross premiums for reference as this is where the cost has been reduced, everything else is more or less equal.

ProviderTotal CostGross PremiumNCB Discount
AIG Expiring/Existing Policy€389.35€1069.59€695.24 (65%)
AIG Renewal Quote€433.37€1098.79€723.77 (65.87%)
AIG New Customer€328.50€886.04€575.93 (65%)

• Fully Comp + named driver
  • Total cost inclusive of NCB protection (€30)
  • The Expiring policy and new customer have 10% promo code discount applied*
*Interestingly - even if I remove the 10% discount for a new customer of €34.11 (bringing it to €362.61), the new policy is still €70.76 cheaper than the renewal quote.

Also - I was able to do all this from within the AIG customer portal while logged in. On my portal now I have two policies showing, the existing one due to lapse this month and the new policy due to activate on lapse of the old one.

The only thing I had to do was upload both drivers licenses and the latest NCB (which they'd just given me as part of the recent renewal notice).