Motor Car insurance after living abroad?

txirimiri

Moving back to Ireland shortly after 4 years abroad (in another EU country) and will be buying a second hand car. While here, have had insurance (me as policy holder, hubby as named driver) with no claims. We can get a letter/cert from the company here verifying this and a certified translation of same. Prior to moving abroad, hubby was policy holder and I was named driver for about 5 years in Ireland. Neither of us have ever had any claims.

Anyone know of a company that won't slap a huge premium increase on us for the sin of having lived outside Ireland?

there can be no discrimination for living in another EU country. You have X years NCB and that will be accepted here. You might have a loading if you were importing a LHD car.

I thinks it's true, there can also be some discriminative for coming from another country : I've been living in ireland for more than 6 years with an irish licence and the guys from Quinn direct don't want to give me a quote. they told me that i had to wait 3 more years to ask for a car insurance :/

Hi Txirimiri, having worked in the insurance industry for the last few years I have had many dealings with Quinn and can safely say the what the last poster has said is untrue.

If you are living in the EU Quinn and any other company for that matter will accept your EU licience as if it was an Irish one. There is no reason why you should not be able to receive a quote or a policy even if you have only landed on the country that day.

I would advise bringing a copy of your NCB with you if possible as most companies will only give you a set amount of time to get it in, in most cases you won't even need to have it translated as the company will look after that, just make sure it's an original.

Hope this helps and good luck

Back