Motor Car Ins, Axa error,response script perfect - would not deviate or admit mistake.

S

sceptic10

I arranged my son’s renewal for car insurance over the phone for (rang head office – call centre) Cost €2700

Certificate arrived – wrong licence number – assumed it was a typo – it was a 2 instead of a 3 rest of the reg was correct.

Informed AXA who then said it was a different model of car and was an import and wanted an extra €196 and that I had given the wrong information so I was at fault.

I disputed this and asked for a copy of the phone call recording – was told that would cost €6.50

In the meantime they would only issue a temporary certificate with the correct licence number on it.

I told them that when they sent the initial insurance certificate, along with ‘A statement of Facts’ , they had listed the car as an import – yet here they were trying to look for extra money for the same thing when asked to correct the licence number.

The girl from Axa was script perfect and would not deviate or admit that Axa could have made a mistake. She kept repeating I gave the incorrect information etc. I asked since I was renewing insurance would all the details not be there on the system. I was told since we were ‘late’ in renewing she had not got access to the information (the car was off the road for 2 mts waiting on a part). I found this a little hard to believe.

Meanwhile I went on carcheck.ie and checked out the incorrect reg number to find it was registered to a yellow JCB! Axa has this on their database as a VW Blue Motion Passat!

I rang them back about this – to be informed I again was wrong and their database was correct.

I went to the Gardai about the reg number and they checked it out and indeed it is registered to a yellow JCB!

I went back to Axa and they insisted the only reason they had a vw passat listed against that reg number was because I gave it to them. I denied this pointing out they said it was a ‘Blue Motion’, and I had no idea where they got this from as it does not even appear on the tax book. And they were also looking for additional money which they had already been paid for – that the car was an import.

I had enough, and went to the Insurance Ombudsman who felt there was something here they would take the details on and get back to me. I also approached our local AXA office. The lady there was very professional. Said she would immediately take this up and would get back to me.

Later that day I received a phone call from the local AXA office to say they would not be requesting the further amount of €196 and would be issuing a full certificate to my son but saying that his insurance could be higher next year due to the 'import'.

I am grateful to that lady in the local office but still no apology, no explanation as to how they had an incorrect database. I still am waiting to hear back from the Ombuds office.

I rang around looking for quotes for my son while waiting to hear back from AXA to find out that we could have insured him on his first named insurance for an average €500 cheaper than AXA.

Lesson learnt – loyalty does not always pay. Insurance databases cannot be trusted.

AXA will not be getting our business next year.

Yes the car is an import - not sure about cancelling...I am waiting some information on that.

I have said it many times before, I would not insure a wheelbarrow with AXA.

Get a copy of the call and then go to the FSO.

Heard back from the FSO - They were told by AXA they would not be seeking the additional monies. He left it at that and quote! "I did not want to row with them incase they made things difficult for you" I could hardly believe what I was hearing! When I questioned this he said best left and next year to go somewhere else.

I rang AXA local office this morning to inform them son had passed driving test, was told they would be refunding €867.02 since he now had a full licence.

Thank you for your comments, always insightful.

Now that is what I call a result. :D

I would take the advice from the FSO and go elsewhere next year.

Did you check the documentation when you placed the vehicle on cover ?

What is the problem in paying the appropriate data request fee ? (For the record you are incorrect, it is €6.35, not €6.50)

When you received the statement of fact, did you query the fact it stated the vehicle was an import ?

What "licence number" are you referring to ?

You were late in renewing ? There are no days of grace in motor insurance.

Insurance companies are fed by the ABI codes not what "their databases" are.

If the car is an import - it is rated higher - very simple.

What did the companies internal customer complaints state to you that they could not resolve it ? What did their "Final Response" state to you ?

Why did you consulte the Financial Services Ombudsman ?

What do you mean "We could have insured him on his first named insurance" ?

You are saying that the Financial Services Ombudsman said to you "I did not want to row with them (AXA) incase they made things difficult with you" ?

I think you would want to take things up with the Financial Services Ombudsman - I would have my doubts that a regulated entity would say this to you.

Some "result" eh Time, pulling the wool over an insurance companies eyes so that they can pay cheaper and the rest of the customers get screwed for paying the correct premium - hopefully it will be you next time paying over the odds while someone else is getting cheaper insurance.

Last edited:
Back