Car hire without Credit Card

RichInSpirit

I've just booked a few days away on the continent but I'd like to hire a car for the few days.
It seems that a Visa Debit card isn't acceptable to most of the car hire companies.
Anyone know of any company that doesn't require credit card payment?
I'm not sure if I can get a credit card as my ICB record is fairly colourful, to the best of my knowledge.

I hired a car recently in the uk with Greenmotion using a Visa Debit. No problems, but they did charge me an extra few quid as it costs them more to pre-auth a Visa Debit

It would seem there is a monopoly here that need stopping, they all do this so if needed they can deduct at a later date without authorisation

I can see their point of view to an extent about a credit card. A car is a fairly valuable asset and they want the most security for loaning it to you as possible.
And I guess that a credit card offers more security than a visa debit card.
I hired a car in the UK last year with a visa debit without any hassle though.
Going to try and get the credit card I think.

@roker Credit cards, and to a certain extent debit cards, are for the convenience and security of banks and merchants. If you start from the premise then you can decide whether they suit your needs or not.

I don't see your point mathepac, you pay before you take the car plus deposit, and it has to be a credit card. There are lots of disputes as to marks on the cars when returned and the hire company claiming at a later date. All cars whether private or hired acquire marks, its part of the life cycle of a car. I had a problem with a tiny chip in the windscreen, which could have been there when I picked it up, so I signed the insurance form. Try driving on Irish roads without getting a few stones thrown up at you.

Last edited:
In my experience, they look for you to pay the excess if you're using Visa Debit. It could be €2k.

Probably the wrong word but you get what I mean

I do, and I'm very wary of cir hire operators. But you have to see if from their side too. If someone uses a method other than a credit card, it gets very expensive for them to try to recoup the cost of any damages, and that would result in car hire becoming a lot more expensive for all of us.

Resurrecting this old thread from last year.
I managed after last year on public transport, foot etc, but i'm heading back again this year to same spot in Italy, and a car would be very handy.
It seems that Avis in Italy will accept a debit card with no problem.
I've reserved a car and I'm assured that the hire price plus a deposit of €100 is all that will be stopped on my card. This sounds very small to me. I was expecting a deposit of €1000 or more.
Anyone else have any experience of debit card car hire in Italy?

Back