Car Hire in USA

onway

I am just wondering if it is necessary to have a credit card to hire car in the USA or if a debit card is accepted. The credit card is in my name but my husband will be doing the driving so it will be hired in his name. Also, is there any particular company that people have good experience with and would recommend - or any pitfalls to avoid.?

It is usually a credit card, ensure you have all the indemnity insurance and waivers included, I used rental cars.com in the past but shop around for value just triple check that you have collision damage waiver included, if you buy from a US based sure the cdw is unlikely to be included.

I buy the excess cover here. I used to buy it from blue insurance. Never had to use it, thankfully. Annual worldwide policy around €66 with CDW of 100K Dollars. I think it's worth it. I would also check reviews of whatever company you decide to use. Some of em, even the big names can be 'challenging.' Take photos of car before you take it away, and not every ding and scratch to save hassle on return.

Some providers will allow the use of debit cards. Read the small print very carefully as there will be additional requirements such as running a credit check or debiting an amount from your account for the duration of the rental. The cards generally need to be in the name of the person making the booking.

Does he have an international driving license?

Some good tips her from the AA

[broken link removed]

Driver’s licence
Get an International Driving Permit (IDP); it’s an internationally-recognised document that accompanies your Irish/EU driving licence and ensures you’ll be accepted as a qualified driver by the authorities across the US. IDPs are issued on behalf of the State by the AA and the fee is €15 (inclusive of admin/postal delivery charge).

Op,

You can rent the car in your name and add him as a second driver. It usually doesn't cost much extra.

Brendan,
You don't need an IDP in the states. It's only for useful in counties that don't speak English. The AA sell them so tend to recommend them in cases where they are not needed.

You don't need an IDP in the states.
As a result of seeing Brendans post I was just about to head into the AA office now with the paperwork and a stamped addressed envelope for the hotel in US where I'll be staying for a few days. I'm flying out tomorrow so I assume the AA wouldn't be able to issue it to me today. However, I'm glad I logged in and checked this Thread again. Are you sure about it not being needed in USA? The AA form states regarding the USA "IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one" However, they would say that wouldn't they!

The AA form states regarding the USA "IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one"

I've never been asked for one, even in the days of the paper licences. I've never been in an accident in the US either though, but I'd imagine there you'll be dealing with the cops or the company you rented from, and not an insurance company.

Thanks Leo. I won't dash into town now. Also, I've just checked the Dept. of Foreign Affairs website and in the section for Driving and for Car Hire there's no mention of an IDP. Also, I phoned the AA and they said that some Car Hire companies might ask for it in the event of an accident but that if your Drivers Licence has you photo on it then he didn't think an IDP was necessary.

Last edited:
Back