car hire for 7

mossfitzg1

Hi There,

Travelling to Spain in mid september with wife, 3 kids ( 7, 5 and 2) and 2 grand parents. Luggage is 3 suitcases, buggy + 3 small bags

I dont want to hire a 9 seater , nor is it possible to hire 2 cars but I'm wondering will a 7 seater leave room for luggage ?

Any particular 7 seater better than another for space - Galaxy or Zafira or another ???

Thanks a lot

Moss

We have a 7 seater (Citroen C4 grand picasso) and from experience, I don't think you'll get all those people and luggage into a 7 seater. we have 4 kids so don't use all seats and would struggle to get a buggy, 3 cases & 3 small bags in.
Once all seats are in use in any of the 7 seaters you are left with very little boot space. I think for comfort alone, a 9 seater would be your best bet.

HI
I would second that. We have a 7 seater Opel Zafira and when all 7 seats are in use there is barely room for a slim case in the boot. You would definitely not fit in all the luggage you are planning to bring. VW Turan is the same. Perhaps a larger 7 seater like a Chrysler?
Otherwise I think the 9 seater is your best option , but very pricey.

One a recent multi (same) family trip a friend ordered the 'large' 7 seater and ended up with a Pug 5008, so we had to put suitcases into other cars.

If in doubt make sure you are booking with an operator who can guarantee the car make/model. Not many do.

why not arrange transfers to/from airport and have your hire car delivered to your accommodation ? you only need the additional boot space for trip to/from airport.

Hi, I've rented an eight seater on a couple of occasions for seven adults and associated baggage. The tend to be a minibus type with loads of luggage space and very reasonable in Spain. Your regular licence covers you to drive it and they are a joy on the road.

Hi Moss. Hertz are having a sale today for car rental (worldwide) 01 Sep to 31 Mar 2014. Use discount code 778699

Regarding a 7 seater be careful with baggage. Sometimes the amount of bags they say the car will carry isn't the case especially when all seats are used for passengers!

If you have alot of baggage which you I wouldn't recommend a 7 seater. I was in france last year and made the mistake of renting a 7 seater we had to put baggage in front of legs and we had a childs buggy with us. if you have a lot of baggage with you id get the 9 seater.

We have done the family+grandparents trip to France a few times now. On the first trip, we booked a std 7-seater as the kids were small - no way could we fit people+luggage into any 7 seater that the hire company had available. We had no choice but to switch to a Mercedes Vito 9 seater. Bit daunted at first because it looked a lot bigger but it worked out great for the trip. Ever since we have always booked an 8 or 9 seater. If you are used to driving a 7 seater MPV at home, these are really not a lot different. Most of these are kitted out like luxury cars inside too now and dont feel like "a van". Also find that they tend to be very reasonably priced on the car hire sites that we use.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I was hoping galaxy might do the job but i feel i may have to bite he bullet

Moss

A lot of 7 seaters are really 5+2 with the 2 taking up most of the luggage space.

Are the 8 or 9 seaters a lot more expensive?

I have not found them to be more expensive than a 7-seater MPV on the websites we use (carjet, holidayautos, doyouspain). In fact they are sometimes cheaper at the peak times - less demand for them I suppose?

2 small cars can work out cheaper than one big one. It's also good if your group wants to split up for day trips etc at any stage during the holiday.
If that's not an option, and it doesn't seem to be here, then I'd go for the 8/9 seater.

You might not always have two drivers. Or at least two people willing to drive on the right etc. So thats also a factor.

Back