Car for 100miles daily commute... options

dublin2020

Any advice please - currently have Volvo S40 petrol and eats fuel, compared with an i30 hyundai i had on holidays (diesel).

Would also consider an E-car

Have a look on carzone.ie or cbg.ie... soulds like diesel would suit you over petrol - but need more info on the kind of car you need - size wise, what year, does it need to be powerful?

I have a 60 mile (100km) per day commute and drive a Skoda Fabia diesel (1.4l). Costs me about 40 euro per week to run.

Car choice

Not sure about car- a mid size up to volvo s40 type- so anything in that range. the i30 seemed powerful.

Diesel would be the way to go.

Plenty out there on carzone.ie

How much do you want to spend?
Do you want the same size as the volvo, worth staying that size at least for the comfort.

A few options might be nice cruise control aircon for the 10 hours a week of commuting.

If you like your S40 otherwise, you should look at an S40 Diesel. I know someone who has an S80 and its very light on fuel, the S40d should be even better.

Get a Ford Focus 1.6TDCI.
Once you service it on time and use the correct oil you'll get years out of it and you'll get 4.7L/100km (60mpg).
It's also a better drive than most of the competition. Whatever you do don't buy a Astra; rubbish cars.

Not an easy option of course but worth considering is moving closer to work.
Even with a 5l/100 ~(50mpg) car it is still a ~250 euro just on petrol every month
plus the cost of doing around 40,000 kilometers driving (tyres, breaks, wear&tear)....
plus the risk of spending all that time on the road...
plus the actual waste of time of sitting in a car hours every day...

Back