Car finance company won't accept my NI bank details for direct debit

They probably didn't know it was an issue until they tried to collect it.

I wouldn't be shocked if a car finance house doesn't have any other GB accounts they're collecting DDs from so might not have known it would be an issue. Their payment processor would only have flagged it to them if they had active GB DDs last year.
OK, so I might have no choice but to sort it out myself. But because I have to walk away from the agreement because of this will/can the finance co charge me the full amount plus cost of credit? Ideally they should just reverse the payment to the garage and have me settle up with the garage myself. It's a pure nuisance at this stage.

Is the path of least resistance here not to set up a standing order? Or get Revlout and use that account?

Normally you get this carry on over a non-ROI but EU account, however, in this instance clearly the Brexit issues have over taken the situation.

Is the path of least resistance here not to set up a standing order? Or get Revlout and use that account?

Normally you get this carry on over a non-ROI but EU account, however, in this instance clearly the Brexit issues have over taken the situation.
Already tried the Revolut option but finance co won't take that either because the IBAN is apparently from Lithuania or somesuch. Honestly they are just stonewalling left right and centre which is making we want to tell them to stuff it altogether. Hadn't considered the standing order option, thanks - will check if that might work for them. My Irish account is a savings account which seems won't work for a direct debit either - such an almighty palaver....

Already tried the Revolut option but finance co won't take that either because the IBAN is apparently from Lithuania or somesuch. Honestly they are just stonewalling left right and centre which is making we want to tell them to stuff it altogether. Hadn't considered the standing order option, thanks - will check if that might work for them. My Irish account is a savings account which seems won't work for a direct debit either - such an almighty palaver....

Well then its clear obstinance. They can accept a signed DD mandate for any SEPA account. Do the contract terms oblige you to pay by DD, if not you may consider dropping bags of coins into their letterbox!

More BS. I have a client who only uses Revolut for both personal and business banking (doing that is another issue). No problem setting up ddm's for him. Had a look at his IBAN there and his business revolut account is GB.

If this has to be unwound, there is no way I would pay them a penny. You have made all efforts to keep to your side of the contract and it is the finance company who have made it impossible for you to perform your side of the contract by their refusal to do something that should be run of the mill for everyone else.

They will have to get a debt collection agency onto you to collect any money they think there are owed. This will only be small potatoes to them, so they may not even take it on.

Alphera is what the finance co is called if anyone's familiar with them. Worse it seems they are actually an Irish arm of a UK based company so I really don't know what the heck... but I'm cheesed off with them now and no way will I be paying any extra to get out of this.

Alphera is what the finance co is called if anyone's familiar with them.
That's the trading name of BMW Financial Services. So it's not John down the road.

Did they explicitly tell you they can't accept the Revolut IBAN, or that they need a signed mandate to do so? As it's outside Ireland it's not covered by the DD+ rules here.

They probably didn't know it was an issue until they tried to collect it.

I wouldn't be shocked if a car finance house doesn't have any other GB accounts they're collecting DDs from so might not have known it would be an issue. Their payment processor would only have flagged it to them if they had active GB DDs last year.
I would be surprised if any financial services company that is not authorized to provide services in the UK after 1.1.2020 continued to set up new customers using UK IBANs.

I would be surprised if any financial services company that is not authorized to provide services in the UK after 1.1.2020 continued to set up new customers using UK IBANs.
I'd hope they would check the customer address as part of their KYC rather than relying on checking the IBAN repayments will come from. That's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted territory!

More BS. I have a client who only uses Revolut for both personal and business banking (doing that is another issue). No problem setting up ddm's for him. Had a look at his IBAN there and his business revolut account is GB.

If this has to be unwound, there is no way I would pay them a penny. You have made all efforts to keep to your side of the contract and it is the finance company who have made it impossible for you to perform your side of the contract by their refusal to do something that should be run of the mill for everyone else.

They will have to get a debt collection agency onto you to collect any money they think there are owed. This will only be small potatoes to them, so they may not even take it on.
I've told garage it's nothing to do with me if finance co can't make it work on pre-provided details, so they're going to sort it out for me one way or another.
Thanks a mill to you and @RedOnion for all your help with this, having courage of conviction really helps when you need to push back. Much appreciated.

Back