Car ferry return on the same day

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I want to visit someone in Ludlow which is around 3 hours from Holyhead. I will be collecting a package which might be too heavy or fragile or expensive for a flight.

So I am thinking of driving there and back on the same day. I have never taken the car ferry before so is this doable? And do I need to look out for anything?

The date doesn't matter so I have just picked Wed 22 July as an example.

1) Take the Irish Ferries 7,30 Dublin Port to Holyhead ferry.
2) Arrive in Holyhead 9.45
3) Depart Holyhead 10.15 ( I have no idea how long it takes from arrival time to being on the road?)
4) Arrive in Ludlow 1.15

5) Depart Ludlow 4 pm
6) Arrive in Holyhead 7 pm.
7) Ferry from Holyhead 20.55

Questions
A) What time do I have to arrive at Dublin for a 7.30 ferry?
B) How reliable is the Dublin the Holyhead ferry? Is it very likely to be not more than 1 hour late? I have plenty of time to play with anyway.
C) What time do I have to arrive at Holyhead for a 20.55 ferry?
D) Google maps tells me that Ludlow to Holyhead is 3 hours. I hear horror stories about UK traffic. I suppose if I miss it, it's not the end of the world. Can I just take the 2.40 am ferry?

E) Are the ferry times the same every day?
F) Is there any advantage on particular days of the week e.g. weekdays vs. weekends?

G) Dublin Swift leaves later and arrives earlier than the others. Why would one not take it?

H) Do I need to worry about Covid? A flight would be a lot of hassle hanging around an airport and sitting on a flight. But I presume a ferry journey doesn't have the same restrictions?

Hi Brendan. I think it's doable. Arrival an hour before departure should be plenty of time. But maybe that might be different at the moment due to Covid.
I agree that social distancing should be easier on the ferry than going by air.
Is your car up to 6 hours of nearly continuous driving?

B) Very reliable during the summer, in winter weather can affect it but it is rare.
D) You need to choose a Flexi ticket if you want the option to take a later ferry. WELL worth it, takes all the pressure off. Traffic can be bad yes, though less so on routes like you’re taking away from Manchester etc.
G) Take the Swift if it’s available. It tends to be a bit more expensive and is more prone to cancellation in bad weather, not an issue this time of year though.
H) Much safer from a C19 point of view, you can walk up to the deck and stand outside for most of the trip if the weather is OK, or indoors there tend to be plenty of areas to go and sit away from people. If you’re particularly concerned you could book a cabin and stay in there for the trip.

I used to get the ferry fairly regularly, the ads are true that it’s a hassle way to travel. So nice to drive up maybe 30 mins before sailing, wait in the comfort of your car, drive on and park then head up to the deck for a great view of the sea or have a meal with proper cutlery and table/chairs. Granted in winter it can be rough, and it is not cheap, but compared to hours at the airport and being packed into a plane like a sardine, the ferry is great!

To add, its first on first off, so earlier check in on your outbound journey would help.

Having said that they are pretty smart on the loading and unloading.

I think the 'official' cut-off is usually 45 mins before departure. I would aim to be there at least a hour before departure time. I've done a few day returns (to go to a Crewe match or walk up Snowdon) and always made it back for ferry. I suspect you could get on to the later ferry with a non-flexi ticket in the event that you missed the return. The Swift will bob about a lot more so if you're not great on boats the bigger boat would be better.

I had to book a sailing for my son last year, he flew over to buy a car. He got a 15% discount with Stena Line as he is a member of iFA or he could have got 10% off as his insurance is with Axa. We would never have thought of it only that a friend reminded him. Lots of people have those perks with various insuurances/organizations but dont realize it. I booked a flexi ticket for him in case of a delay and it took a lot of pressure off him. Safe Journey.

Thanks MrsBre

I wasn't even aware that there was an alternative to Irish Ferries.

Stena Line is 50% dearer and takes longer.

It might be just that day.

When I decide if and when I am going, I will check both.

I presume that it's just Irish Ferries and StenaLine? There are no other options.

Brendan

It will be a long day for you.

Hi Pinoy.

I live near the Port, so there is very little driving on this side.

I don't have to worry about finding a place to stay and worrying about Covid.

I often do day trips to London and they are great.

I don't fancy 6 hours driving. But with a long break in between and plenty of time, it should be fine.

Brendan

G) Dublin Swift leaves later and arrives earlier than the others. Why would one not take it?
Is it not a good bit more expensive?

The other thing is if there's any form of bad weather, it gets cancelled and you get moved to next 'slow' sailing. Or at least it used to get cancelled.

How expensive/heavy/delicate is the item. Could the person not stick it on a well protected pallet. I've gotten pallets delivered from the UK for around 100 Euro door to door.

H) Do I need to worry about Covid? A flight would be a lot of hassle hanging around an airport and sitting on a flight. But I presume a ferry journey doesn't have the same restrictions?

not to mention the fact that it's 2 weeks quarantine when your return.

Hi Peanuts

I was wondering about that.

I will be sitting in my car for 6 hours.

I will be visiting one couple in a rural area who have been keeping to themselves.

I won't be in any pubs, cafés or other public places.

I think it's less risky doing my weekly shopping in Tescos in Sandymount and going for a walk on the beach.

It's certainly less risky than going into a restaurant of café in Dublin.

I probably wouldn't fly to Britain , or anywhere else, for the foreseeable future, but the Ferry seems a very safe option.

Brendan

That's notional quarantine, no legal requirement for such.
so what if there is no legal requirement?, there is a moral requirement not to mention the fact that most employers and schools are insisting on it for anyone who travels overseas

Back