Car driver Licence expiring - do they inform you?

bigjoe_dub

My old type drivers licence is due to expire in May.

Do they notify you that your licence is about to expire and you should apply for the new type one or do you have apply yourself prior to it expiring?

Please edit the title of your thread to make it more meaningful.

AFAIK, you will not be informed that your license is about to expire.

Applying for and getting a new one, is an easy task, as long as you read the detailed instructions on the website and bring all the docs with you, not forgetting the medical report if necessary ( that's the one that is most forgotten, I have been told). I arrived at the centre in Leopardstown one Friday morning at 9.30am with no appointment and was completed by 10am. I cant remember how long it took the license to arrive in the post but the whole experience was quick, efficient and painless.

www.ndls.ie

I got a reminder for mine last September but being the type A person that I am, I had already renewed it! I was surprised to get the reminder as there were numerous address changes from my current licence so something must be working and linked into the vehicle licence database.

thanks SadBob. amazing they have nothing on their web site to say how far in advance you can apply for a renewal. I tweeted them. it is 3 months. I told them to add that nugget of info to their FAQ. ;)

for info, got a renewal notice in the post yesterday. :) mad form. have to bring a rake of ID stuff. hardly any appointments next week for the 2 centres I checked. may try a walk in to see how i get on.

What do they look for as a matter of interest? Mine is due for renewal next year.

Back