Car Dent Repair.

Markove

I have just noticed a small, shallow dent above the right rear wheel arch of my car (Nissan Note). No idea how it occurred - a sharp stone or pebble flying up maybe. The paintwork is undamaged. It is very minor but still noticeable and annoying therefore so I'd like to fix it. I was thinking of DIY using one of those suction pad devices. Mick's Garage stock one made by Draper Tools. I've no idea if these things actually work or could cause even more damage. I am reluctant to spend a lot of money on this but would bringing the car to a bodyshop be the wiser option? I would upload a photo but can't seem to on smartphone.

i would seek out a paintless dent removal professional personally, they dont charge that much and you dont run the risk of making it worse.

Most of the suction pads are too big for small dents. For the small ones they often glue on pullers, but as above, you might just make matters worse!

i would seek out a paintless dent removal professional personally, they dont charge that much and you dont run the risk of making it worse.

A small shallow dent - consider accepting it?
I'm OCD in relation to these kind of blemishes !!

I went to a local smart repair guy. He would be unable to just pull the dent out, he says, because it's situated on a crease and it's a rear panel. Rear panels are double the thickness of front panels, apparently?? Sounds dubious. If it were located on the front it would be easier to pull. So, he would need to drill a small hole from inside the rear panel outwards and then fill. I decided against that.
Next stop is bodyshop, I guess.

I'm OCD in relation to these kind of blemishes !!

I went to a local smart repair guy. He would be unable to just pull the dent out, he says, because it's situated on a crease and it's a rear panel. Rear panels are double the thickness of front panels, apparently?? Sounds dubious. If it were located on the front it would be easier to pull. So, he would need to drill a small hole from inside the rear panel outwards and then fill. I decided against that.
Next stop is bodyshop, I guess.
That’s the lazy way out , there used to be a dent guy in dundrum sc who was a genius but long gone now, a good dent repair guy will be able to repair if you can find one.

That’s the lazy way out , there used to be a dent guy in dundrum sc who was a genius but long gone now, a good dent repair guy will be able to repair if you can find one.

No affiliation but found this one a quick Google

I'm in Limerick. I might be willing to travel. I'll contact this Renatas guy just to see. Thanks for replying.

I got a dent on the wheel arch many moons ago and was horrified at the estimate from my local trustworthy mechanic to repair it. He offered 2 choices, fix it or live with it.
It's the crease in the arch that causes the problem and I just got used to it until I didn't see it anymore.

I got a dent on the wheel arch many moons ago and was horrified at the estimate from my local trustworthy mechanic to repair it. He offered 2 choices, fix it or live with it.
It's the crease in the arch that causes the problem and I just got used to it until I didn't see it anymore.
Got it fixed by a different PDR guy (Smart Dent). Like new. Perfect. €150. A regular bodyshop quoted me €560!!
Before https://photos.app.goo.gl/CUZpDHZSpqHQiXLr8
After

After

I've actually been present when an identical dent was repaired. It took literally a couple of minutes, the customer was asked to drop the car in, leave it with them and they'd see what they could do. Lifted the car, got a steel tipped nail type implement with a bit of rubber on the top, little bit of heat on the dent, a couple of "expert" taps from underneath and Voila. Sizeable amount of money for old rope as they say. Have used the method quite a few times and always perfect. To be honest, it's no different that taking money out of someone's pocket without them realising it but as the saying goes? Each to their own :)

I've actually been present when an identical dent was repaired. It took literally a couple of minutes, the customer was asked to drop the car in, leave it with them and they'd see what they could do. Lifted the car, got a steel tipped nail type implement with a bit of rubber on the top, little bit of heat on the dent, a couple of "expert" taps from underneath and Voila. Sizeable amount of money for old rope as they say. Have used the method quite a few times and always perfect. To be honest, it's no different that taking money out of someone's pocket without them realising it but as the saying goes? Each to their own :)
Mmmm. Indeed. A two to three hour job I was informed but he rang to say the car was ready just over an hour later. This guy used some technique involving glue. Anyways, I don't begrudge him the money. I just wanted it fixed relatively cheaply.

Back