Car dealers. Advertising stickers on new cars.

Tintagel

I purchased a new 2018 car. When I got it from the dealers there were four items of advertising stickers on the back of the car.

There were three items advertising the name of the dealer. One stuck on the back window, one on the number plate and worst of all, a sticker on the bodywork of the car. The manufacturer had also placed a sticker in the back window.

Certainly over the top in my opinion.

Why do these people think that I am going to drive around in my car advertising their company?

Last edited:
A hair-dryer will soften the advertising decals enough to peel them off without damage. the number-plate holders can be swapped and the tax/insurance disc holder can also be changed.

Last edited:
Why do these people think that I am going to drive around in my car advertising their company?

'Cos that's the way it's always been ... on the back window but then on the number plate surround and then fancy letting on the bodywork.

Easy asnwer to your problem is to remove what you don't want/like. You can get sticky stuff remover spray to get rid of residue but b careful not to scratch anything or damage the rear window heater strands.

If mud flaps were still in vogue they'd be advertising there too!

Last edited:
worst of all, a sticker on the bodywork of the car.

There should be no sticker on the bodywork of the car. The paintwork underneath can be damaged. The paintwork can fade and if a subsequent owner wants to take the sticker off it can show as a different colour patch on the car.

What if you had a black car with a blue advertising sticker?

Who was the car dealer who did this?

If you're buying a new car, look at the other cars that are ready for delivery on the forecourt. If you object to any of the advertising, specify that you don't want it. Some dealers are worse than others, some even glue on a plastic badge. I wonder how easy it's be to remove those.

There were three items advertising the name of the dealer. One stuck on the back window, one on the number plate and worst of all, a sticker on the bodywork of the car. The manufacturer had also placed a sticker in the back window.
Let me guess......Gowan Motors? These guys stick a blue sticker on the bodywork of the car. They don't care. For them it's free advertising. A few of the sales people that work there came from Esmonde Motors who also put a sticker on the bodywork of the car before they closed down.
I wonder how many people actually complain about this ugly sticker?

I agree with Leo. The problem is you have to remember to ask beforehand not to put stickers on the car.

One stuck on the back window, one on the number plate and worst of all, a sticker on the bodywork of the car.

Do I have to get a new number plate in order to take the advertising surround off or is it separate to the number plate.

My understanding is that when purchasing a new car we all pay the basic car price and upwards of €750 is paid toward the "on the road" price. So if I have paid for the number plate why should I accept or drive around advertising the car dealer?

I wonder if I advised them that I was going to invoice them at the end of the year unless they removed it would they be quick about removing it.

I have seen the disgusting Gowan stickers on a few cars all right.

Any sticker on the bodywork, and I'd be telling the dealer to remove it, and they'd better not damage the paintwork in the process. I can live with their name on the number plate holder, and stickers on the back windscreen, which are easy enough to remove if they become annoying.

the tax/insurance disc holder can also be changed.

Where can I buy one of these without any advertising?

Some dealers are worse than others, some even glue on a plastic badge

A friend of mine purchased a red car with red coloured door handles, wing mirrors etc. It looked lovely. The dealer had stuck a big blue sticker on the back of the car on the boot. He had to take it back to the garage to have it taken off. He was so annoyed. It really did look awful. The dealer couldn't have cared less, he had his money at this stage.

Let me guess......Gowan Motors? These guys stick a blue sticker on the bodywork of the car.

Spot on. I didn't notice the sticker in the excitement of getting my new car. I noticed it when I got home. I contacted the dealership about the sticker and they said they would remove it. When I brought the car back, it had to be taken off site to a valeting centre to remove the sticker because they said it was a hard sticker. I was told that I was the only one complaining.

Had similar issue when ordering gravestone for my late father. Did deal then told the stone guy I didn't want him to advertise his work by ingraving his own name on the side of the headstone base. He was totally taken aback - liike no body ever asked this before. Eventually accepted to do the work

I was told that I was the only one complaining.

What a way for a business to speak to someone after they have parted with their money. This comment was designed to isolate you from everyone else and make you feel that you are the odd one out....a whinger/complainer. All the good work in selling you the car was wiped out with this one sentence.

The answer, as usual is "It depends".

The old-fashioned way was to slide the number-plate into a plastic surround and screw the whole lot to the car. In this case, simply take the two white plastic caps off the self-tapping screws, undo the screws, slide the number plate out of the plastic surround and refit the number-plate.

A new innovation is to have the stealers' details integral to the number plate itself on a little tab, in which case it'll need chopping or sawing off, preferably after you've removed the plate(s) from the car :)

A new innovation is to have the stealers' details integral to the number plate itself on a little tab, in which case it'll need chopping or sawing off, preferably after you've removed the plate(s) from the car

As someone has already pointed out, you have paid the, "on the road", price for your car. I didn't think a condition of this was you had to drive around with the dealer's advertisements plastered all over your new car.

Back