Car crash

J

JOHNBOB50

Wifes parked car was crashed into. Old Lady was driving the other car, her dog jumped onto her lap and caused her to crash. We have her insurance details but said that her husband might pay for the damage instead of going through her insurance. Has anybody done this before and seeing as wifes car is now off the road are we entitled to compo for this too as well as the damage to the car??????

Assuming the unfortunate lady has accepted liabilty, you are entitled to the cost of repairs to your car, plus the cost of car hire whilst your car cannot be driven.

is this only if i go through my insurance??? What if they are paying cash??

If they are willing to pay you cash for all the things you list then fine, otherwise go directly to their insurance companies.

As you were not in the wrong you do not take compromises on cost of repairs etc.

dats_right said:
and maybe a couple of hundred quid for miscellaneous expenses.
If he refuses, go straight to their insurance company.

Its not an open cheque book, you will need quotes for all items. You cant just throw on extra money.

It is also not a blackmailing mechanism....

a couple of hundred quid for miscellaneous expenses. If he refuses, go straight to their insurance company
Ever hear of Karma? Why would you try to screw an old lady?

Get your car fixed and send them the bill. If you've hired a car send them on the receipts.

purplealien said:
Why would you try to screw an old lady?

What's that got to do with anything? Would it be more acceptable if the driver was a boy racer?

In fairness to dats_right, his misc. expenses suggestion might have been to cover any items in the car that were destroyed due to crash, taxi taken out to the car rental place, cost of getting car towed, etc., rather than a gouge payment. If so, it's a good suggestion.

J.

Scotty said:
What's that got to do with anything? Would it be more acceptable if the driver was a boy racer?

In fairness to dats_right, his misc. expenses suggestion might have been to cover any items in the car that were destroyed due to crash, taxi taken out to the car rental place, cost of getting car towed, etc., rather than a gouge payment. If so, it's a good suggestion.

J.

I doubt you can start looking for money to cover taxi fares out to the car rental place, they could have got a bus? I mean where do you stop? Look for money because you missed Corornation Street on the tele?

I think its a bad attitude to have, if the shoe was on the other foot.....

SteelBlue05 said:
I think its a bad attitude to have, if the shoe was on the other foot.....

A much worse attitude is the "ah sure God bless the nice old ladies with their cute little dogs running around the inside of a moving car" attitude. Pure luck that this isn't a more serious discussion, at least it was just a parked car that was hit.

The taxi fare was just an example, of a possible misc. expense. If I was the one who crashed into a car, and forced it to be off the road, I would think it only fair to cover any real expenses resulting from that. Depending on where they car was parked, where the OP lives, where the car rental place is, and how urgently a new car is needed, a taxi may be necessary.

If Northern Rock decided to drop their interest rates to zero, would you object? Sure they're looking after your money in a nice safe place, what would you be wanting interest for anyway? :rolleyes:

J.

Scotty said:
No - it wouldn't be acceptable to do it to anyone but the driver in this case was an old lady.

An insurance company will normally pay car hire for the duration of the repair, usually a few days.

Scotty said:
A much worse attitude is the "ah sure God bless the nice old ladies with their cute little dogs running around the inside of a moving car" attitude. Pure luck that this isn't a more serious discussion, at least it was just a parked car that was hit.

The taxi fare was just an example, of a possible misc. expense. If I was the one who crashed into a car, and forced it to be off the road, I would think it only fair to cover any real expenses resulting from that. Depending on where they car was parked, where the OP lives, where the car rental place is, and how urgently a new car is needed, a taxi may be necessary.

If Northern Rock decided to drop their interest rates to zero, would you object? Sure they're looking after your money in a nice safe place, what would you be wanting interest for anyway? :rolleyes:

J.

On one hand it is fair and reasonable to be reinbursed for costs of repair and replacement car, my point was it is taking the p*ss to add on "a couple of hundred quid for miscellaneous expenses. If he refuses, go straight to their insurance company ".

That was my point. You are of the view that this is ok to do, so fair enough.

having been on both sides of this scenario in the past.. people do get screwed either way..if it goes through the insurance company ensure you ask for a payment for depreciation of your car as well..
i find though that if you are fair to people they will be fair back.get the quotes for repair and once you have picked the person that you want to fix it then let the person paying try and negotiate a cheaper rate for cash..i did this in the past and saved 80 euro.. which i then gave to the other person towards taxi's etc,she didn't need to rent a car but still had to get the kids to school,although i suspect she had a night out with the money.
on the karma thing ,i agree totally,be fair and it will come back to you.. you never know when u are on the other side of the fence

dats_right said:
I don't think liability is going to be an issue, I mean she hit a parked car. Anyway, get a quote for repair and likely time that it will take. Certainly wouldn't be afraid to charge for cost of repairs, plus cost of car rental and maybe a couple of hundred quid for miscellaneous expenses. If he refuses, go straight to their insurance company, make sure to get cash up front do not accept a bare promise.

There shouldn't be any miscellaneous expenses. You should be able to get receipts for all expenses you don't just throw in a couple of hundred quid.

dats_right said:
Why not add in a couple of hundred quid? Afterall, he is the one accomodating the other guy by not going through their insurance company. The uncertainty and hassle with not going through an insurance company is worth at least this amount, add in the time wasted chasing everything up and who knows what other miscellaneous costs. But if you would prefer, get a 'friendly' garage to exaggerate the cost of repair and sure you'll both be laughing all the way to the bank.

I really hate people like you. Why would you be so greedy and try to screw the other person for more money that you deserve?

Anyways the other person will rightly check the quote against other garages so the over priced quote will look way too high.

This really sums up the bad side of the Celtic Tiger.

JOHNBOB50 said:
Wifes parked car was crashed into. Old Lady was driving the other car, her dog jumped onto her lap and caused her to crash. We have her insurance details but said that her husband might pay for the damage instead of going through her insurance. Has anybody done this before and seeing as wifes car is now off the road are we entitled to compo for this too as well as the damage to the car??????

It may be prudent to notify your insurer but not initiate a claim. Its more than likely in your T&C to notify them

comanche said:
It may be prudent to notify your insurer but not initiate a claim

Hmm. Did that once and ended up spending a few weeks at time of next renewal explaining why my request for an accident report form did not constitute a claim. I requested and received the form, they ticked a box and hey presto, I was lost my no-claims bonus. Got it sorted, but not a soft ride.

nt00deep said:
Hmm. Did that once and ended up spending a few weeks at time of next renewal explaining why my request for an accident report form did not constitute a claim. I requested and received the form, they ticked a box and hey presto, I was lost my no-claims bonus. Got it sorted, but not a soft ride.

Yeah but the reason for this is that if you are in an accident and other party retracts 'fully liability' then your insurance company may have a thing or two to say seeing as you are not complying with the T&Cs of your policy. Prob best to notify once all has bee sorted out if you do notify them.

Back