Car crash - who's at fault?

Im a motor claims handler - your best bet is to contact your insurance company - tell them for records only. IT WILL NOT EFFECT YOUR POLICY.
You are at fault, settle her claim asap. You are only giving her more time to go to the doctor/sol...

You could try 50/50 and end up in a court but by that stage costs will only go up and it you will pay out alot more - the best you could hope for is 20/80..

hope everything works out for you

Irrespective of the reason for the crash you are always 100% wrong if you tail end somebody.

What the other driver did sounds odd, but the fact is you hit her car and that is your fault.

You should also inform your insurer, and I agree it will not affect your NCB as long as you settle the claim personally.

Irrespective of the reason for the crash you are always 100% wrong if you tail end somebody.

Not always, read the story i posted above. I still believe this person has contributory negligence in this matter but am now inclined to agree with contacting your insurance sooner rather than later.

The woman stopped in an appropriate place - but sounds like she had good reason to do so. The tailender was probably speeding if he couldn't stop in time.

Dear 10to1,
Its not nice to her, but if you hit into the back of someone, no matter which way you look at it, legally, you were in the wrong.
It is awful ahat has happend to you. I had a similar experience with car insurance. In a nut shell, I had a tip with a car. Just turning at traffic lights, very, very minor. My light broken, no damage not even a scratch on other car. There was a passenger! You know whats coming!! I never reported it to my insurance company as nothing was being paid out,we decided to go 50/50 on damages (suited other driver!!) Cost me 300 euro to fix. Dad mechanic so cost me nothing really.
6 MONTHS LATER, I get a letter in the post stating I was being sued by the passenger for the usual whiplash. Went to court, (this was before the new assessment board.) He got 20k. I lost 5 years no claims bonus and my insurance went up by 1000 euro for 'failure to disclose an accident'. My advice is this.
1. Report to Insurance firm, in detail asap.
2. Write your own personal account. Get a diary and long every single detail into it, ie date and time and who you spoke with in any matter concearning the tip. Other driver, garage, gardai etc. Take photopy of everything, cheques paid for repairs and when they clearded etc.
3. Give a report to Gardai and make sure and say they were called but could not attend.

I know this all sounds a bit extreme and perhaps causing a bit of unnecessary worry BUT people will do anything. Prepare for the unexpected. I wish I had!

Hope it helps and sorry if it sounds OTT.

MsPBL

Contacted the other party and she has told me she is not pursuing the matter. The wheel was easily put back in shape and she is happy to leave it at that. Thanks to all for comments and helpful advice.

In my experience who ever rear ends someone else is always at fault, I rear ended this car at the merrion gates when the lights were green heading for ballsbridge and was told by my insurance company thayt there was no point in arguing as once you hit someone from tha back its always your fault even though in my case the lights were green..driver in front thought they went amber but that was the filter light for turning right at the merrion gates, if the damage is minor just settle it between you and the TP, in my case we both agreed to keep the insurance companies out of it but the cost was too high and i had no choice but to pay thru them.

Back