Car Crash Query

AliDesign

I was in a hit & run last week. I was coming out of a carpark and there was a yellow box infront of the exit where a guy stopped to let the car before me out and then let me out. As I was turning right I edged out in 1st gear and another car overtook at least 2 cars while on the wrong side of the road and as I was breaking he clipped me as he swirved back onto his side of the road.

I am just wondering if he is in the wrong or am I. The front left side of my bumper collided with the back left side of his car and I have been told that because the back of his car was hit it doesn't matter whether he was overtaking traffic or going too fast. I managed to get his reg but unfortunately the 2 witnesses at the scene gave me their number and I wrote it down wrong. I reported it to the gardai and they contacted him to be told that he didn't realise until he got home an saw the scratch on his car. Does anyone have any insight on this?? Should I start saving for next year's insurance?

Generally if anyone is coming out from a road onto a road of greater importance and hits someone, then the person coming out onto the road is liable.
BUT you were not doing anything wrong as you were being let out by someone else.
He did a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre and left the scene.
I think any reasonable person who agree he was in the wrong. But really the test is what the insurance companies do with it. This sounds like one that could be bitterly contested on both sides and go on forever. If I had to make the decision I'd say let it go, both repair your own damage and forget it.

If you damage is only minor, I'd agree with dee06. You could go back to the accident scene and see did the road markings allow this man to overtake leading up to the box junction. If they did - then you haven't a leg to stand on - even tho one car waved you out, this other guy still had command of the road. If there was a solid white line, he shouldn't have been overtaking at all and would be responsible for your damage. Without decent witness testimony tho, it would be hard to prove.

Thanks for the replies. Got in touch with him & we are gona fix our own cars so we don't have to go through the insurance.

Back